mtbr member

New question here. suspension settings on your Ex8? help.

2007 Ex8 medium, Stan's Tubeless, Nevigal Rear, Blue Groove Front.... 5'9" 170lbs

I was running 160psi rear 7 clicks rebound (Propedal usually), 80 psi front 7 clicks rebound (Low speed at 2 o'clock usually).

I'm properly using my travel on trails.

On twisty technical single track the suspension was superb.

I took the bike to a very rocky and rough place to ride and i felt like it was riding pretty harsh.

I lowered the rebound down to 2 clicks front and rear. Will this have the desired effect though? Also, does anyone else hate the stock grips?

Also just wondering what you guys are running.
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Try it out. If it packs up too much, try adding a little pressure to slow that effect. Probably won't give you a problem unless there isn't enough of a break in the rocky stuff to let the shock recover. I ran my rear shock fully open today and thought it was great. Not too much of a drain on efficiency and it boosted traction a lot. I'm heading to a really rough trail this weekend so I expect I'll leave the shock open most of the time.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    i'll report back with the results. i really dont think changing the pressures will do much, considering im using my travel as perfectly as i can for my terrain.

i too love the feeling of the suspension in Open, even during some climbs. on descents it's radical. i'll try leaving it open as well. traction is key where i ride.

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

mtbr member
    I'm about 5' 11" tall 165 lbs.I run about 75- 80lbs in the fork about the same rebound ( 6clicks).You should have about 7/8 " sag.
    The shock I have 135 lbs air and 1/2" (12.7mm) sag in open setting which is what the manual says you should have,4 clicks back full damp.I started at 120and have been going up and down 5psi at a time to see what I like.When you get it dialed your will bike float over the the rough stuff.mine does.

mtbr member
    if the rebound change doesn't do the trick, i'll put the rebound to the middle click and adjust the pressures. im going out tomorrow so i'll find out then.

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

mtbr member
    rebound change made it a little less harsh, but when i looked at the O-ring on my shock, i definitly should be using more travel.

im going to put the rebound at the middle setting and start at 150psi and work down until i am using the travel nicely.

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

mtbr member
    Hmm, well your air pressure setting should be related to sag and feel on the sort of trail you usually ride. Rebound's more of a personal preference/trail feel thing--maybe worth fiddling with but I generally only move mine a click or two one way or the other once I have it dialed in so it feels right to me most of the time. (not bouncy or kicking back harshly) If you're generally happy with the pressure and rebound settings you're using, but it feels harsh on a rocky section, I'd try turning the propedal setting off for a plusher feel in the rough stuff...it made quite a difference when I did this on a rocky section of my local trail.