Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Superfly SS anyone?

Has anyone got the superfly SS yet? It has me curious as a second bike. Actual pics and weight would be great.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member

Superfly SS anyone?

That's one cool looking bike!!

2014 Trek Fuel 8-29er. 2015 Trek Farley 6.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I am not so sure about the purple. I would like to see some actual pictures. I would have liked to see a green or red instead of purple.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I actually kind of like the color but I tend to like weirder designs. I am thinking of this or sir9. The superfly SS is not shipping until december. The only thing I am curious about which I need to ask my store manager is if this can be a geared bike as well if I ever want to make a 1x10 some day. That is why I was considering the sir but I work at a trek store so want to be loyal as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    stygz, the black and purple are the only color the Super Fly SS is coming in this year. Lost Biker, the bike is not convertible to a multi-speed drive train.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    This article states the weight will be about 20lbs (sometimes you have to refresh the page for the text to show up?) but doesn't give an exact weight.

Trek 2015 mountain bikes - part I - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hey, just curious. Anyone hear of the rigid carbon fork for this bike being available as an aftermarket item? I am mulling over purchasing a Superfly 7 but would like to swap the stock fork for something rigid & carbon. Lots of (expensive) options out there but nothing that seems to match the 51mm offset of the Bontrager fork...?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Would love one of these, but not available in the UK. Anyone know a friendly Trek dealer who might ship one over?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    My Superfly SS just arrived today. I have not ridden it yet, but after the assembly and set up, I'm impressed. 20.76 lbs out of the box without reflectors, waterbottle cage or pedals. There is a built in slider for the rear brake, and the tension adjustment/wheel retention system looks to be sound, and is easy to use. the rear hub is not S.S. specific, just a geared hub with spacers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Superfly SS anyone?-ss5.jpg  

Superfly SS anyone?-ss2.jpg  

Superfly SS anyone?-ss3.jpg  

Superfly SS anyone?-ss1.jpg  

Superfly SS anyone?-224.jpg  

mtbr member
    ^^sweet!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I received mine on Friday as well, but my build is stymied by a small part that's been surprisingly difficult to source. (BTW, if anyone out there has a 9/10 speed freehub body for the prior generation SRAM Rise 60, please let me know. I'd love to take it off of your hands)

Anyway, the dropouts look very stout. The fork is pretty good. I like the integrated "micro truss" hose attachment points, but the routing is a little weird. I can't wait to get this thing on the trail.
    Last edited by jason745; 12-19-2014 at 01:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    So, The sliding dropouts are not something to be messed with on the trail. Unless that is you want to bring a 20mm socket and torque wench in your bag. The thru axle nuts, quick release and brake mount bolt must be loose before you can adjust the chain tension. that being said, I don't see any dropout slipping issues as seen with the Rig. I'll be riding tomorrow, so we'll see how it all shakes out, but so far I'm impressed with the overall quality of the bike/fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Sweet bike. It looks awesome.

my dog's Frisbee launcher
    just ordered a 19.5, had to sell my cool white 2010 Cannondale trail SS first, to many bikes ...I will miss that bike very much....but looking forward to the Superfly SS

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 202cycle View Post
    So, The sliding dropouts are not something to be messed with on the trail. Unless that is you want to bring a 20mm socket and torque wench in your bag. The thru axle nuts, quick release and brake mount bolt must be loose before you can adjust the chain tension. that being said, I don't see any dropout slipping issues as seen with the Rig. I'll be riding tomorrow, so we'll see how it all shakes out, but so far I'm impressed with the overall quality of the bike/fork.
    thanks for the heads up
    Darwin was an Optimist

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I rode the bike yesterday. Basically stock, but I did convert to tubeless, and swapped out the 18t cog for a 19t. I'll start with some basics. I don't really care for the grips. The saddle is fine with me, but I have my old Arione that will go on soon. I would prefer a 20mm setback seatpost, but with the stock saddle slammed all the way back, the position was good. I would also prefer a 2.35 or larger tire, but the stock XR2 2.2 was sufficient when run at 18psi. This is my first time using the Deore brakes, and here in Middle Tennessee, where we don't have many extended downhills (my ride yesterday had none), the brakes were great. I don't think I will change them. When switching to the 19t cog, I had to move the wheel almost all the way back, making the chainstays a bit long for my liking, and one cannot run a half link with the narrow wide chainring. I will live with this, and may end up going to a 20t anyway. The waterbottle placement on these frames is a bit odd, and I think Trek should consider doing away with the seat tube mounts, and moving the down tube mounts closer to the bottom bracket. As they are now, you can only use small bottle in either of the cages. I only ride with one large water bottle, so I made an adapter to move the down tube cage farther down. Trek could easily make a right dropout with a hanger, so I would have liked to see housing guides on the chainstay just in case.

As for the ride, the bike begs to go fast! The rear end is stiff and the bike accelerates like a rocket. I don't mind the stiffness, due to the fact that I run low pressure in the tires, and don't feel the need for a compliant frame. The fork is a bomber! The robust legs, and thru axle make it very solid. I went in to a couple turns a little hot, and just threw the front wheel at it. The front end just hooked up and shot through the turns.

Over all, I love the bike, and can't wait to get back on it. I will add a setback seatpost, my own saddle, ESI grips and a set of XR2 2.35 Team issue tires before I do. For $1500, this bike is worth the scratch. For those of you interested in this bike, I would say don't hesitate it's a great bike at a great price.

Disclaimer: I am the Service Manager at Trek dealer for the last 14 years. I could really care less what kind of bike anyone rides, and I don't care if anyone buys one of these. I'm pretty sure none of my customers will, so this review is in no way a sales pitch for my store.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I just picked one of these up as well and took it for a quick spin around the block. Overall I am very impressed with the bike, the only thing I will be changing is the stem and bars. I prefer a wider bar and a shorter stem, other than that the rest of the components are pretty good. I also converted the tires to tubeless and am running about 18-20 pounds in them. I'll see how well the Deore discs hold up on some East Coast trails, they still need to bed in before I can give a good review of them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I heard from a reputable source at trek, that this bike was using a new "29er plus" fork for which i'm assuming will be an option for a new hardtail in the future. So i'll probably run a 29x 2.4 when i get mine and maybe even the new 3" wide tire that trek just released.

build pics

here's some build pics of the rear sliding dropouts

Superfly SS anyone?-img_2401.jpgSuperfly SS anyone?-img_2402.jpgSuperfly SS anyone?-img_2403.jpgSuperfly SS anyone?-img_2405.jpgSuperfly SS anyone?-img_2406.jpg
    Darwin was an Optimist

a few more

Superfly SS anyone?-img_2408.jpg
    Superfly SS anyone?-img_2410.jpgSuperfly SS anyone?-img_2413.jpgSuperfly SS anyone?-img_2414.jpgSuperfly SS anyone?-img_2412.jpg
    Darwin was an Optimist

Not Bad
    I love these, I just wish we could get them in the UK, but I may have already said that?!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by justintime8425 View Post
    I heard from a reputable source at trek, that this bike was using a new "29er plus" fork for which i'm assuming will be an option for a new hardtail in the future. So i'll probably run a 29x 2.4 when i get mine and maybe even the new 3" wide tire that trek just released.
    Trek hasn't gone wide rims yet but the evidence continues to pile up.
    From Mountainflyer--
    "If you want the entire portfolio of evidence presented, you should peruse the ibis website. It begins with the ancient mountain bike proverb: “You can’t have too much traction.” I think we can all agree on that. Next, the engineers at ibis point out that your current mountain bike rim is too narrow. To illustrate this, they offer a comparison of outer tire width to inner rim width ratios on other vehicles. A standard mountain bike rim has a ratio of 3:1. In comparison, a road bike has a ratio of 1.2:1, motorcycles are 1.3-1.5:1, and an automobile is 1.3:1. Tires work better when they have more support from the rim. Narrow rims pinch the tire at the bottom and offer no support, so the tire folds when cornering. So, ibis contends, mountain bikers have been doing it all wrong. But we didn’t start out that way. The first clunkers had wide rims. But they weren’t strong enough and were, of course, too heavy. So for all these years we have sacrificed performance for strength and weight."

MF Tested: Ibis 741 Wheelset « Mountain Flyer Magazine
    Gear Review: Ibis 941 Wheels - Mtbr.com
    http://www.mtbonline.co.za/downloads...llustrated.pdf

I ran 35/30mm carbons on my SF this season. I'd never go back.
    The comfort increase is important especially for a rigid.
    Last edited by eb1888; 12-17-2014 at 04:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I surely do NOT need another bike, but this looks like a lot of bang for the buck, and I've always wanted to try a SS, and this one does not have a cursed EBB........must resist!!!!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Superfly SS anyone?-fullsizerender.jpg

Here we go:

19.13lbs as pictured

Frame: 2015 Trek Superfly SS, 17.5
    Fork: Bontrager Double Bevel
    Crank: SRAM XO1
    Chainring: Wolf Tooth Components 5 Spoke GXP Direct Mount Drop Stop, 32T
    Cog: Wolf Tooth Components Stainless Steel, 20T
    BB: Truvativ Press Fit GXP
    Chain: KMC X10L Light 10 Speed