mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Superfly AL Upgrade: What would you do?

Upgraded to a 2013 Superfly AL last year (Reba fork, Mustang rims, 3x10 XT/deore drivetrain I believe). Rode it this year to some good success and achieved my racing goals including qualifying for the Xterra World champs and am in good shape to go to the National champs this fall. I am thinking of upgrades to try and get a little faster and shed some weight for the climbs I'll face. Are wheels the best bang for the buck? Which ones would you get? Let's say I have 1g to play with (obviously if I could be under that the better). I can get deals on some reynolds carbon wheels through a sponsorship or bontrager wheels because I'm friends with the guys at my shop. What would you guys do?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The guys at my shop got me 20 off AC Wide Lightnings in stock at BTI. 670.
    That or another 30mm inside dimension wheel will give you better climbing grip power, more sidewall support and cornering grip footprint for less washout. Put some XR1s on and reduce your psi by 3-4 because of the 24% added volume.
    That volume also adds cushion front and rear.
    Thunder Burts are another tire option.
    These changes are immediately noticeable and seem normal to me now. I won't be using a skinnier wheel again.
    American Classic Wide Lightning 29"er Wheels: Final Review
    I have them on a SF 9.8. Great bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the input. I was looking at the XR1s for a race I'm doing in Utah but I ride in New England and I don't think they'll be suited for riding around here that much. I don't think my shop carries AC. I'll have to stop by the shop and see what they say.

Would you agree that a wheel upgrade to say a super light AL or carbon wheelset is the better move than buying a carbon frame with the same wheels?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    BTI is a national bike part distributor like QBP. Your shop probably has an account. The wheelset would be close to the 600(wholesale) they set for free shipping to your shop.
    A wheelset no, a 30mm wide wheelset yes given the relatively short time of the Xterra bike segments. But the 9.6-9.8 frames are a huge leap for Trek, imo. Their road bike carbon frame engineers contributed to the design. The resulting frame compliance is a major benefit. If you run any longer distance/time races the carbon frame benefits would be more of a contribution. The wide wheelset adds even more rear suspension effect. The front and rear feel matched now on my bike. I'm building up some hookless 30mm inside Chinese carbon wheels next.
    So a wide wheelset will make your aluminum frame more comfortable, help with added climbing traction, let you corner harder and be lighter.
    My shop gave me credit for the oem wheels on my 9.8.