mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Superfly AL 100 w/ 140mm fork?

Anybody out there try this? I ride a ton of rocks and seem to bottom out my 100mm fork quite frequently. This is what I'm looking at:

Revelation RCT3 | SRAM

Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a bad idea to be honest. The whole geometry of the bike is setup with a 100mm fork for a reason, you change that you change everything. Sounds like you need a Remedy or fuel if you want more travel up front.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yep, if you're hitting things so hard you are unable to setup the suspension to cope then its time for a new ride.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My Rumblefish (same frame as a Superfly) rides alot better with a 140 than it did with the 120 air spring. Didn't affect the handling that much try a 120 before u go 140.Since the superfly setup more for XC racing. Revelation is what i have on my bike its a great fork easy to setup.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I copy my reply from a similar Fuel topic.

Using a bigger fork is one of the most common topics and there are always two opinions. Yes and No. Trek doesn't give you any option. If you use a bigger fork they will void the warranty because the geometry changes etc. But Trek for example offers the 2013 Fuel Ex 5 with 120 mm and the 7 with 130 which means that in reality it is not black and white.

Also (and this is just my opinion) the head angle degrees etc are purely theoretical since once you ride your bike and depending on the sag everything changes. And of course these bikes are designed to be ridden by people up to 135 kg so if they can stand such a huge range of riders with different sags going down trails etc I seriously doubt that anything will happen if you change your head angle degrees by 1.

And of course you can always keep your existing fork and replace it if something happens and you have to use your warranty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Paris Galanis View Post
    I copy my reply from a similar Fuel topic.

Using a bigger fork is one of the most common topics and there are always two opinions. Yes and No. Trek doesn't give you any option. If you use a bigger fork they will void the warranty because the geometry changes etc. But Trek for example offers the 2013 Fuel Ex 5 with 120 mm and the 7 with 130 which means that in reality it is not black and white.
    And of course you can always keep your existing fork and replace it if something happens and you have to use your warranty.
    That's exactly what I thought after looking at the same thing. I may be new to this biking thing but I like to think I'm a pretty fart smeller and that makes sense.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Btownrider View Post
    Anybody out there try this? I ride a ton of rocks and seem to bottom out my 100mm fork quite frequently. This is what I'm looking at:

Revelation RCT3 | SRAM

Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
    I'm going to have to agree to Brishnate I think it is a horrible idea to put almost an extra 2" to the front of your bike that is designed for less. Not only do you void your trek lifetime warranty (which is one of the best in the bike industry, if not the best) but you also put extra stress on the frame that it is not designed for which can lead to catastrophic failure!
    Looking for a Trek 69er ... hook a brother up!!!

My blog
    http://zachbikes.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    To revive this thread, I am about to put a fox float 140 on my rumblefish 120. Regarding the warranty, why can't you just put the old fork back on during servicing or warranty claims? Is there a seal or some indicator that is broken during a fork change??
    GO COUGS
    GO HAWKS

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Actually, the Superfly 100 AL has the same exact geometry as the Rumblefish. I'd say 120mm is about the limit...just to be safe.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"