mtbr member
    Oct 2013

SuperFly 8 Front brake disc nearly rubbing fork legs

Hi Guys,

I've got a question about my brand new Trek SF8.
    I've got almost 600miles on it in about 4 weeks... Only thing I can tell is that it rolls fantastic.

I do had some minor issues, like:
    -front wheel badly centered, so that the wheel was more to the left which gave me an awkward feeling looking down my handlebar and stem.
    LBS fixed that by re-adjust spokes length and tension.
    -Brakes suddenly didn't slow me down anymore. They only made me sound like a train-horn :-) quite scary going steep downhill.
    Degrease pads and sanding them a bit and burn in again gave me a good solution.

-Not yet fixed: from time to time it feels like the body, or pawls do not engage directly and make a snapping sound which result in a little free spin of the pedals. Not so good when going for a sprint are strong uphill.
    Anyone's got a solution for that issue? I blame the pawls in the body, but maybe it is something else.

But the real question now is that I notice that my front disc is a bit wobbly. Like a 0.5mm tot the left over a distance of 2 cm.
    Not so easy to straighten that out and I don't feel anything when braking.
    What bothers me is that the disc has got very small amount of space (gap) between the disc and the fork leg. Less than 1mm...
    So if the disc gets to wobble a bit more, it will definitely start to rub the fork leg. Which I think is not so good.
    Any reason why that gap is so small? Any solution for this?

Bike is only 5 weeks old, but I do not like to bother the LBS for everything I think is wrong.
    Wheelset and brakes are original. Shocks are original Fox Float 32 29"
    Superfly 8 - Trek Bicycle

SuperFly 8 Front brake disc nearly rubbing fork legs-2014-01-01-23.25.18.jpgSuperFly 8 Front brake disc nearly rubbing fork legs-2014-01-01-23.24.14.jpg

Many thanks in advice

mtbr member

SuperFly 8 Front brake disc nearly rubbing fork legs

I have a 2014 Trek Fuel 29er and my rotor looks as close as yours does. I'm guessing its normal.

Bikes I currently have. 2014 Trek Fuel EX 8 29er. 2013 Trek Mamba 29er.

mtbr member
    My 14 fuel with fox fork is the same too if I recall correctly from memory.
    The brake pads on mine did that too after sitting for a a few days in high humidity. I just go for a sprint and stop hard a few times and it'll stop it as well. Alcohol helped as well.

Is that a through axle fork or an open qr?

The wheel is something I am quite familiar with. I had a Gary Fisher cobia with shimano 475 hubs I believe. I broke 2 pawls out of the 3 and the bike would move ok, but was scary on one of the climbs! It was a narrow bridge, bad timing. The third broke near the car fortunately, but it didn't take long for it to break. I would have the lbs take a look at that freehub, I wouldn't be surprised if it was failing as well. Trek sent me a complete rear wheel in replacement for the original ranger wheel. I'd at least have them take a look if you are unable to, especially prior to any long rides!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    10 Gary Fisher Cobia - 13 Trek Madone 5.2 - 14 Trek Fuel Ex8

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Davedi View Post
    But the real question now is that I notice that my front disc is a bit wobbly. Like a 0.5mm tot the left over a distance of 2 cm.
    Not so easy to straighten that out and I don't feel anything when braking.
    What bothers me is that the disc has got very small amount of space (gap) between the disc and the fork leg. Less than 1mm...
    So if the disc gets to wobble a bit more, it will definitely start to rub the fork leg. Which I think is not so good.
    Any reason why that gap is so small? Any solution for this?
    The gap is normal on Fox forks. The wobble is a warped rotor. Straighten it out and you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    @722ish: It's a 15mm true axle
    @the-one1: It is rather minimal warped. I'm a bit scared to "over-straighten" it :-)
    I guess I first buy a tool for straighten a brake disk. Afterwards I'll gonna give it a try.

Anyone anything on the skipping of the freewheel or body?