Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    225

    Superfly 100 SL Cable Replacement / Heads up

    Upgraded the shifters and front derailleur on my Superfly 100 SL (base model) this evening and came across the first thing about the bike that I would consider very poor engineering. There is a little plate that attaches to the bottom of the bottom bracket shell that the front derailleur cable passes through and/or a rear brake cable or possibly a dropper post. Based on the website pictures it looks like the base model SL and Elite have the rear brake routed on the downtube whereas the Pro has it running through the frame. So, this little plate is held in place by 1 small bolt (2mm hex) and 2 larger (2.5mm hex). The small bolt goes into a threaded piece that is bonded into the frame. The other two bolts pass through holes in the frame and thread into a small piece of steel that in addition to helping retain the cover plate also acts as a retainer/guide for whatever full housing cable you might have routed through the frame and out the bottom of the bottom bracket housing. So the problem is this, if you take that plate all the way off -- nothing is captive -- so really the only reasonable way to get everything back together is (I imagine) pressing out the bottom bracket so that you can hold that small piece of steel in place. Not having a BB press handy I was able to get it lined up and held it in place with an allen wrench while I got one bolt started and then fiddled around until I could get the other started. All together it took me over an hour and a fair amount of cursing to get it back together. So I guess here's your technical service bulletin, if you are replacing cables or etc., try to do whatever needs doing without backing those larger two bolts all the way out.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    627
    I went through a similar ordeal with my base SL. I swapped out brakes and shifters so I actually ran the brake line internally through that clamp area. It's a PITA to change cables at a future time and like evilsjg says, takes a little cursing and time.

    The bottom bracket is not actually a pressfit like BB30, it's a "slip" fit, (or might go by some other name) but you don't need a press. A gentle tap will pop the bearings out and to put it back in, just make sure it's flush and you should be able to press it with your palm. Taking out the crank and BB is the easiest way I can think of to work with the internal housing.

    Quote Originally Posted by evilsjg View Post
    Upgraded the shifters and front derailleur on my Superfly 100 SL (base model) this evening and came across the first thing about the bike that I would consider very poor engineering. There is a little plate that attaches to the bottom of the bottom bracket shell that the front derailleur cable passes through and/or a rear brake cable or possibly a dropper post. Based on the website pictures it looks like the base model SL and Elite have the rear brake routed on the downtube whereas the Pro has it running through the frame. So, this little plate is held in place by 1 small bolt (2mm hex) and 2 larger (2.5mm hex). The small bolt goes into a threaded piece that is bonded into the frame. The other two bolts pass through holes in the frame and thread into a small piece of steel that in addition to helping retain the cover plate also acts as a retainer/guide for whatever full housing cable you might have routed through the frame and out the bottom of the bottom bracket housing. So the problem is this, if you take that plate all the way off -- nothing is captive -- so really the only reasonable way to get everything back together is (I imagine) pressing out the bottom bracket so that you can hold that small piece of steel in place. Not having a BB press handy I was able to get it lined up and held it in place with an allen wrench while I got one bolt started and then fiddled around until I could get the other started. All together it took me over an hour and a fair amount of cursing to get it back together. So I guess here's your technical service bulletin, if you are replacing cables or etc., try to do whatever needs doing without backing those larger two bolts all the way out.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3
    Is it possible to run the rear brake hose through the frame with the original olive and barb installed? My rear brake is the lone cable not ran internally.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    6
    I just got a base model and I'm trying to lose some weight from it. I have an XO group but the front derailleur is not the same. I have a direct and high direct mount but what is on the SF 100? I've been looking but haven't found anything on it.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by ingalls71 View Post
    I just got a base model and I'm trying to lose some weight from it. I have an XO group but the front derailleur is not the same. I have a direct and high direct mount but what is on the SF 100? I've been looking but haven't found anything on it.
    S3 Direct Mount, Bottom Pull -- I put an XX on mine.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    58
    had mine almost completely apart today eying possible routes for a Thomson covert dropper. I sensed that I might be getting into trouble and never fully removed any bolts. just wiggled while I shined a light to make sure everything seemed like it would pass without issue. there are 3 bolts. 2 large, one small. I assume I can loosen 2 of the 3 and still keep everything in place. So from your experience, do I remove 1 of the large one and keep the small one or can the small one come completely out?

    thanks.

    just thinking on it further,

    honestly since everything is staying inside the frame till the near headtube I probably won't run it through the bracket in the bottom, I'll just allow for a gentle curve as it goes from seat tube to downtube. seems anchoring it to the bracket in the bottom will only add an acute angle that isn't needed. It might make it easier to run cables if I can access that space from below just to see.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasshawn View Post
    honestly since everything is staying inside the frame till the near headtube I probably won't run it through the bracket in the bottom, I'll just allow for a gentle curve as it goes from seat tube to downtube. seems anchoring it to the bracket in the bottom will only add an acute angle that isn't needed. It might make it easier to run cables if I can access that space from below just to see.
    ^-- This.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    58
    that's the plan just have to figure out how to fish it through.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    723
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasshawn View Post
    had mine almost completely apart today eying possible routes for a Thomson covert dropper.
    If you get this setup, I look forward to seeing photos. I'm considering a similar setup.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    58
    Will do, was considering taking a bunch of pics as I install for just this reason

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    58
    here's my install installing a Thomson Covert Dropper

    Sent from my Xoom Wifi using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. 2012 Superfly 100 cable routing
    By redline9k in forum Trek
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-15-2012, 10:40 AM
  2. Best replacement cable
    By rml_7 in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-28-2011, 11:00 PM
  3. KS i9x0 cable replacement
    By tshulthise in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2011, 10:07 PM
  4. sram x7 cable replacement - how?
    By Vitamin G in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-30-2011, 08:35 PM
  5. reverb cable replacement?
    By mastakilla in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-10-2011, 08:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •