33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Superfly 100 Elite

20 60.61%
  • Top Fuel 9.8

13 39.39%
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Superfly 100 Elite vs. Top Fuel 9.8

I am looking to buy a new 'race' bike, and it has basically come down to these two bikes from which I will choose. Please help me decide.

I am 5'8," and weigh 150- (soaking wet)
    Experience level: I am a sport rider/racer- with about 5 years of riding experience. I climb better than I decend (but working on all aspects of 'racing.')
    Currently I am riding/racing a 2009 Gary Fisher HiFi (26"). It was the base model, but I have since put on a new SLX (9 speed) crankset, upgraded wheels, Avid Elixir CR brakes, and a couple other lighter/better components. I would like to dedicate this as my trail bike, rather than a 'race' steed.

A couple things that I want to keep in mind with this bike are:
    1.) Weight- I can't build/afford a rediculously light bike (such as the top fuel 9.9, etc.) Also, after this large purchase, I am pretty much done in terms of upgrades/new bikes, so the components on the stock bikes are what I get. (want something that doesn't weigh half of my body weight)

2.) Climbing ability- I like the idea of the Top Fuel's remote lockouts, but how does the Superfly 100 compare with the Fox RP-23 and a crown adjust lockout? 29" wheels inhibit speed up the hill?

3.) Decending ability- when the trail goes down, how well is the suspension going to work? Will I prefer the 29" wheels/tires for roots, rocks, and other trail characteristics?

4.) Any other thoughts I should keep in mind- any one ride both of these and have a comparison?

And yes, if I have the opportunity, I will test both bike out before deciding and purchasing.

Thanks,
    Crash47

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Both bikes are excellent choices and are capable of winning races. Looking at a comparison on Trek's site, the biggest difference for me is the drivetrain the Superfly is SRAM and 9.8 is all Shimano. The superfly also has Race X Lite wheels and the 9.8 is one step down Race Lite wheels, but I would venture to say you would never realize a performance difference between the 2. The Superfly 100 Elite is also $1,000 more! Personally if I were you I would go for the non-Elite Superfly, it doesn't have the bling X.0 drivetrain or X lite wheels but it will be very lightweight and durable for several years of riding and racing. With the cash in pocket you can buy a tubeless kit, extra tires and gas money to several races.

1. Weight, all the bikes mentioned are very light but the 9.8 is probably lightest with smaller wheels
    2. All the bikes will climb well but I like the 29-2 tires much better than the XR-1 to keep from slipping on loose rocks and roots. Locking out suspension is only useful if your are riding very smooth trails or gravel roads, you need an active suspension to keep your tire planted to avoid spinning.
    3. All the bikes will decend well, many people prefer 29" wheels for the added stability but others do not, only a test ride will let you decide. I prefer 29.
    4. I have ridden both and I prefer the Superfly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    There isn't a true rear lockout on the Topfuel, it is a switch that turns pro-pedal on or off.

I would pick the Topfuel (But I am a little biased), I came off of a 26" hard tail and I feel like the Topfuel was a good compromise for me. It is very stable, although not quite as stable as a 29er, but it is still very nimble, where as all of the 29ers I rode weren't.

But the whole 26 vs 29 debate is very personal, It's next to impossible to tell through the internet which one you will prefer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thank you for the responses so far. I know that this is going to end up being a test-drive situation to find THE bike for me, I'm just looking for more input beyond my own research.. All of those details I am overlooking/ which ones I should focus upon for my ultimate decision.

Please keep the comments coming.

-Crash47

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm currently riding a Superfly 100 elite and I really enjoy it. This is my first 29er and I haven't had any issues transitioning from a 26in full suspension bike. I would recommend going with the Superfly 100 if you want to save some cash. The money saved could be put to better use getting some nicer wheels than what come stock on either version or towards your race / travel budget.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    29er all the way! I have also ridden both of these bikes a couple of times, total riding time a little more than an hour on each on a familiar trail at the Trek demo. In short the fuel was a sweet ride however the S-Fly was even better and it felt like there was a lot more to unleash! I had to really think about the two S-Fly's and in the end went with the S-Fly 100 and saved some $$ for some upgrades. I am very happy with my choice. Definitely ride both and see what works for you!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I know a SF 100 owner who later rode a Top Fuel. He said he'd trade in a heartbeat, which doesn't surprise me. If you can't afford a 9.9, just build yourself some race wheels using NoTubes Alpines and DT Revolutions, that's where the weight loss counts in spades. Low rotational inertia, low unsprung weight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

mechBgon you from Spokane?

Thanks for the replys so far, I am really having to think about this.

Hey mechBgon, by chance are you from Spokane and work at Two Wheel Transit?

This is Chris (used to live in Spokane until about a year ago, then moved here to Juneau, AK) I ride a blue 2009 HiFi.

If it's you, who was saying they'd switch to a Top Fuel in a hearbeat?

-Crash47

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by crash47 View Post
    Thanks for the replys so far, I am really having to think about this.

Hey mechBgon, by chance are you from Spokane and work at Two Wheel Transit?

This is Chris (used to live in Spokane until about a year ago, then moved here to Juneau, AK) I ride a blue 2009 HiFi.

If it's you, who was saying they'd switch to a Top Fuel in a hearbeat?

-Crash47
    Yeah, I remember you Chris and you may remember Clyde, who was on the 24-hour team for NDBS? He got the Top Fuel 9.9 SSL and everyone I've talked to who's tried it had unconditional praise for it. David is the one I referred to, who had the 29er regrets about his SF 100 after trying the Top Fuel. I hear Clyde's a lot faster on his new bike too, haven't had a chance to go ride with him this year though.

I've been thinking of a Top Fuel myself for next race season. But, 1) I need to start NOT spending so much money, I should be saving for retirement! and 2) I'm waiting to see how the 2012s are equipped, since we seem to be in an industry-wide transition to through-axle setups front and rear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    It really comes down to which you prefer the ride of, 26 or 29 inch wheels. And I noticed that some 26 inch wheeled bikes feel faster because of being twitchier, but are actually slower than the 29er. The 29er just feels a bit more sluggish but may actually give you faster lap times.