mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Suggestions for Fuel 80 setup

First of all, howdy. Names Eric, live in the Boise ID area. Seems like a really cool field of knowledgeable folks. Have enjoyed readin many posts.

To the issue at hand. Upgrading my current a 2001 Trek Fuel 80.

I am looking to make some basic upgrades over the course of the next year. First a "little" disclaimer, I am a LARGE man, 6' 1" 250 pounds. Fairly outta shape but workin to get back into a shape other than rotund. It will be pretty much basic easy trail riding for me for a few months until I achieve some physical conditioning goals I have set. Once I get in better shape I will definitely be going for some more intense challenges.

I would really like to upgrade my fork as I don't care for the lack of adjustability of the Judy C's.

What are some good forks for heavier riders but will work once I am at my target weight of around 200?

Any other recommended upgrades for my bike / rider combo?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Eric, I too have a Fuel 80 (2005) that has seen some extensive upgrades. Upgrading a bike is rarely the best option, especially for a 6 year old frame. Your size may be better served by a 5-inch travel frame instead of the 3-inch Fuel.

That being said...For your weight you would see the most dramatic change by upgrading the fork, then the brakes, then the crankset, then perhaps the rear shock. I cant imagine a wheelset worth buying retail being a sensible upgrade.

*Check out some online retailers for a 2005/2006 model Manitou Black fork in the sub-$200 range. A 4-inch travel fork will fit fine with little change to the geometry.

*You may want to get some cheep Hayes hydraulics for stoppers.

*You can find a Fox Float R shocks abundant on eBay. The rear shock that came with my frame was a joke, even for a 3-inch travel bike.

*My recommendation though, is to ONLY buy a new cassette and chain and ride the bike stock until she just up and dies.

Quote Originally Posted by benzy
    My recommendation though, is to ONLY buy a new cassette and chain and ride the bike stock until she just up and dies.
    wow, strong post for first time poster Bikes that are regularly maintained don't "just up and die" ...
    Eric - still riding my '01 Fuel 90, here....am a relative flyweight, here (135 - 140 #s, give or take), so can't comment on an appropriate fork for a heavier rider - most mid-level and up forks from major manufacturers are more than adequate (you may want to look into being able to swap out to heavier springs for a heavier guy, but the rest of the fork would be fine - you are intending to ride xc, right ?...as the Fuel is a xc bike, and not built for "crazier" riding). Have you ever had your pivot bushings replaced ? If you're riding an '01, am assuming you should have, by now... if not - then that'd be a priority.
    . Other than that, my vote goes for just upgrading stuff as it wears out/breaks.
    No need to "upgrade" perfectly working parts, but when they break, get something better, and you'll be loving it. Hopefully, you bought yer Fuel new, and Trek will cover yer frame with the lifetime warranty. I love my Fuel, have ridden the snot out of it, and will continue to do so for the forseeable future (lately, has been doing double duty as my commuter )

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the thoughtful post, Fuelish. Your exorbitant amount of experience in these matters was key.