Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Weiner Dog Connoiseur

Strangest Klein Pulse I've Seen

http://cgi.ebay.com/1997-Klein-Pulse...QQcmdZViewItem

I'd say the tubing looks a little thin to be a Klein...and the "internal cables" are routed on the outside?

By '97 the Klein Pulse was a Trek-built frame with banjo-type cabling over the top tube. I'd venture a guess that this is probably not a Klein.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Looks Thin 'Cause Its Steel

Deffinately not a Klein Pulse in any way, shape, or form.

No good in rock gardens..
    What a scammer.

Clearly a choromoly bike with a threaded headset to boot.

I just HAD to ask:

Hi there. Are you sure this bike is a Klein? It appears to have the cables running outside the frame - Kleins had them inside. It also appears to be a steel frame - Kleins are aluminium. A 1997 bike would also have a threadless, inch and an eighth head tube - your bike is one inch threaded by the looks.
    Last edited by Sideknob; 04-25-2006 at 07:55 AM.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

monkey's throw poo
    Jun 2004

huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob
    What a scammer.

Clearly a choromoly bike with a threaded headset to boot.

I just HAD to ask:

Hi there. Are you sure this bike is a Klein? It appears to have the cables running outside the frame - Kleins had them inside. It also appears to be a steel frame - Kleins are aluminium. A 1997 bike would also have a threadless, inch and an eighth head tube - your bike is one inch threaded by the looks.
    This Klein has Internal tubing very Light and Fast...what the hell does this mean?
    two six is bet-ta

Righto. Here's the question I asked this guy:

"Hi there. Are you sure this bike is a Klein? It appears to have the cables running outside the frame - Kleins had them inside. It also appears to be a steel frame - Kleins are aluminium. A 1997 bike would also have a threadless, inch and an eighth head tube - your bike is one inch threaded by the look."

And here's the answer!

"Yes it is a Klein Pulse.It is all aluminum frame,this is special made 4 racing down hill.thanks."

So! A VALUABLE and RARE limited Klein Pulse special downhill racer!!

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Hmmm

That guy is semi-local to me.

I should borrow my buddy's Pulse II and ride over there to check that bike out in person and see what he has to say then.

I better check my Pinnacle to see if it's one of them special downhill models.

God someone's bid $152 on it. And $67 postage on top!

Most expensive lemon I've ever seen.

The Machine Is Forever
    I seriously doubt that is a '97 Klein Pulse frame....

Here are three pics of a circa 1995 Klein Pulse frame that I happened to spot on eBay. You can clearly see the internal cable routing already in place, with the more customary Klein tubing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

He be a moose too.

Didn't sell

The reserved wasn't reached. For cripes sakes, if you're scamming someone, you don't set a reserve. You take the money and run...fast! Perhaps this person really believed they had a Klein?

I sent a message to the two highest bidders and pointed them out to this thread. One said something seemed fishy, the other was surprised he could have been fooled.

I told him that a lot of people didn't groove on people exploiting someone regarding older Kleins, but if it had been a Cannondale scam...eh, who cares.

Penguin

The Machine Is Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin
    The reserved wasn't reached. For cripes sakes, if you're scamming someone, you don't set a reserve. You take the money and run...fast! Perhaps this person really believed they had a Klein?

I sent a message to the two highest bidders and pointed them out to this thread. One said something seemed fishy, the other was surprised he could have been fooled.

I told him that a lot of people didn't groove on people exploiting someone regarding older Kleins, but if it had been a Cannondale scam...eh, who cares.

Penguin
    There was just too much that was too obvious. From the frame tubing to the component spec, it just SCREAMED "scam"...

What I found hilarious was when the seller stated in an earlier post to "Sideknob" that the bike was "especially made for racing downhill". I guess the seller thinks he's John Tomac, too

Quote Originally Posted by The Machine
    There was just too much that was too obvious. From the frame tubing to the component spec, it just SCREAMED "scam"...

What I found hilarious was when the seller stated in an earlier post to "Sideknob" that the bike was "especially made for racing downhill". I guess the seller thinks he's John Tomac, too
    Nah, no Tioga Tension Disc in sight......

mtbr member
    You can spot a Klein right away by the "micro" rear entry dropouts.
    This bike is crap.

CoroKatana
    Mar 2006

"Crap" is an understatement....

It's a real POS. And the guy is a J@ckass for scamming.

While we're scrutinizing for discrepancies, check out the chainstays on the Silver Pulse pics. I've owned 5 Kleins over a 15 year period, and IMO, the square-to-circular chainstay design still remains one of the sexiest frame details ever .

...I guess the "special downhill frame" used conventional chainstays with off-the-shelf dropouts complete with braze-ons for a bike rack.

Yep...that guy's selling one special Klein all right.

Up to $152 now.

The Machine Is Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob
    Up to $152 now.
    It seems that the bidding has ended for that auction...boy, I hope the poor guy who bid the $152 looked elsewhere for his rig.

However, that frame looks eerily similar to a steel 1996 Specialized Hardrock. I have one of those bikes as a beater, and if you remove the clearcoat and decals, you'd have a dead ringer right down to the dropouts for that "Klein-terfeit"

He be a moose too.
    I hope the poor guy who bid the $152 looked elsewhere for his rig.
    It didn't reach reserve and the two high bidders, once alerted, weren't going any higher.

Penguin

He be a moose too.

It's back and even better than before!

Yep, "Klein Pulse" has made a return and it's even better than before. This time it even says "Klein Pulse" on it. It wasn't there on the first posting but it's there now. It says it's a Pulse, so who are we to pontificate, arrogantly pontificate, and say, "It's not a Pulse."

Previously, one could (I say could, it's a stretch, but work with me) have come to the conclusion that it was an ignorant seller. Now it's blown way past that into outright fraud. The least the guy could do is to try a little harder, you know, honor among thieves sort of thing.

Heh-heh.

Penguin

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Now the bike is relisted, and it magically has Klein logos on the frame.

Check it out:

Weiner Dog Connoiseur
    Quote Originally Posted by john2006
    Now the bike is relisted, and it magically has Klein logos on the frame.

Check it out:

That would be like me scrawling "Hummer" logos on my Toyota 4Runner and trying to pass it off as a Hummer...of course, in my case, that would be a step backwards (we're talking about the H2 & H3).

mtbr member

Check it out now

The seller had to create a NEW account in order to buy it over the reserve.

When it pops up again it may be the new seller auctiobid12345.

mtbr member
    John2006,
    What a cowinkadink. You are from the same state as the seller. Go knock on his door and crack his aggies.
    He is in Little Chute.

The Machine Is Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin

Yep, "Klein Pulse" has made a return and it's even better than before. This time it even says "Klein Pulse" on it. It wasn't there on the first posting but it's there now. It says it's a Pulse, so who are we to pontificate, arrogantly pontificate, and say, "It's not a Pulse."

Previously, one could (I say could, it's a stretch, but work with me) have come to the conclusion that it was an ignorant seller. Now it's blown way past that into outright fraud. The least the guy could do is to try a little harder, you know, honor among thieves sort of thing.

Heh-heh.

Penguin
    Aaaah, our favorite "Klein-terfeit" is back....superb

Has anyone reported that clown to eBay yet?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    No, he's definately legit, he owns a bike shop too... he said so.

and to quote him, when I decided to question his bike...

Yes,It sure is a Klein,Look at the other Klein Pulse mountain bike on ebay.Its a Klein Pulse Comp.Thanks.Clint S.I own a bike shop.

Aaaah, our favorite "Klein-terfeit" is back....superb

Has anyone reported that clown to eBay yet?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    the sudden appearance of the klein stickers is hilarious

what a piece of crapp this guy is

i would never buy a bike on ebay

a friend of mine made 3 attempts to buy a used trek fuel on ebay, and each time it turned out to be a scam

he would get "outbid" at the last minute, then get this email message in broken english telling him that he could still get the bike at his last bid price - all he had to do was send his money to a listed addresss, and they would send the bike right to him

he finally picked up a demo model at the lbs for cheap, and is very happy with it

you just can't beat having the opportunity to actually look at the bike you are buying
    clunger

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast