mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Stem on a Trek Fuel EX

Recently got a Trek Fuel EX 8 (2008) and loving it. Only thing is i feel a little stretched out on it. Considering getting a shorter stem but worried it'll affect handling adversly. Would you recommend getting a shorter stem and if so, how short could i go without handling getting scr@wed???

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have an 08 Fuel EX 7 and I know what you mean. I feel stretched out and the bike's steering is a bit overly sensitive. I feel like it's prone to over steer. I'm considering dropping about 10mm off of the stem. I think I read something in MBA that said Trek's stems were a bit too long. I think the factory length is 95mm. I'd appreciate any comments on this issue, as well.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    I would just ask the LBS if they can let you try some different lengths. I wouldn't change more than 20mm and I'd get a lower rise. That way you'll compensate for the shorter stem biasing your weight toward the rear.

You might be able to move the saddle forward in the seatclamp about 10mm. That would give you an idea of how it feels to be 10mm closer to the handlebars. Turning the seatpost around would get you even closer.

Of course, this would screw up your position over the pedals, so it wouldn't be worthwhile to go riding with this set-up. It would just give you a pretty good idea of how it feels to have a range of lengths between the saddle and handlebar and you can translate that into an appropriate stem length. Make sure you mark where the saddle is on the rails before you start changing all this stuff.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    I had the same problem and had the luck of being to try out a few extras that some friends had. I ended going with the Race Face Diablos 2 70MM X 80/100 Deg. I know it a little excessive for a XC but it was the only one that I found that felt really comfortable. I don't have to worry about breaking it that's for sure....

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm with the rest of you, the 100mm 7deg stem on my 08 EX8 was just a little too much, so I went with the 90mm version of this For only $25 I figured it was worth experimenting. Works like a charm!

mtbr member
    90mm stem and lower the stack by two spacers
    cheers
    Pagey

BKB
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm looking to do the opposite, going from a 90 to a 100.

Members who have read this thread: 0