mtbr member
    Nov 2008

stem size trek models

have the same size stem? I have a 2003 Trek 6000 and want to get a new stem and saddle but not sure the size. Anyone know? Also, should be my steam be greasy like there is oil all over it? is that normal?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    my 2008 Trek 6000 seat stem is a 31.6 mm, just put an Easton EC90 on this afternoon. And Yes, there is a bit of grease in ther seat stem location.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Are you asking about the seatpost dimensions for your Trek 6000?

Trek mountain bikes have a seatpost diameter of 31.6mm and seat clamp of 36.4mm.

The inside lip of the seat tube should be smeared with a dollop of grease and the seatpost should also be greased before insertion. Rotate the seatpost up and down to spread and coat the inside of the seat tube with grease.

If you have a carbon seatpost and it is tight fitting (ie requires twisting to insert) or is lacquered then lightly coat it with grease before insertion. If it is loose fitting and not lacquered, then you can insert the seatpost without greasing it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    thanks for the replies yall. I asked about the grease because I noticed some stems come in silver, which would look pretty ugly with all that grease over it

I'm looking into getting a new stem and saddle, should I go crazy and get the lightest stuff or is it not all that important?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thomson makes some really good looking, light, and strong stem's.

Now worth the money? No, sadly I don't think that saving grams on a heavy mountain bike is worth spending the money. If something was to break that would be a different story.

My 2 cents

Members who have read this thread: 0