mtbr member
    May 2006

Steerer Tube Length for Trek (4500) Hardtail??

I want to replace my Judy TT fork with a new fork and was wondering if anyone knew what the steerer tube length for the fork should be? I assume that this would be the same for all Trek models (3700-8500) but I'm not exactly sure on that. I don't feel like taking my fork off just to get the length but would like to know so i can watch some ebay auctions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Steerer length does vary....

between frame sizes. Smaller frame use shorter steerers, larger frames use longer. And it is not necessarily "standard" between models either. The design purpose and geometry of the frame can make a difference as well. So don't count on a 3700 with the same size frame having the same steerer length as your 4500. The 6000 and up ARE different!

A quick way to determine what you need is simply take a measuring tape and measure from the top of the fork crown vertically along the head tube to the top of the stem clamp. That will be the MINIMUM steerer length you need if you want to use the same stem and the same amount of spacers under it. Take about 2 minutes to do.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"