DRG
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Standard HiFi or Trek EX 6?

After a few years on a Cannondale Killer V hardtail I am upgrading to a FS bike. I have looked at several models and had decided on the base HiFi, but now after reading the post about it turning itself in the taco bike I may have to reconsider. I like the EX 6 alot too and it is a little cheaper, but the LBS told me they had had some issues with the rear shock. I really like the shop that carries Trek/GF so I would like to stay with those brands.

I would be riding a L frame so maybe I should not worry but I don't want to buy a bike that has a design flaw. I ride 99% trails and single track. I guess my question would be, is the apparent design flaw enough for you to switch to the EX 6? or something else?

Thanks

DRG

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    In speaking with the trek guru's and looking at smaller frmae sizes, IMHO, i think the failure I experienced is limited to the xl size frames only. GFer and Trek appear to be working hard to remedy the situation. AS for the ride of the HiFi I did my research prior to buying mine and found it to be the best ride of any of the major brands. I also found it to be spec'd better than any of the others as well. I say give the HiFi a chance, GF'er has a lifetime warranty on their frames, but so does their parent company Trek.

Matija
    Mar 2007
    I think you should compare HiFi to EX7 and above. Higher end EX bikes were redesigned for '07 and have 130/120mm travel, while EX6 and below only have 100/100 travel. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm waiting for my EX8 to arrive. Hope this friday is the day

DRG
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yea, the EX 7 is a more direct comparison but it also is more expensive. The HiFi is at the top of what I want to spend. The EX 6 is the 100mm bike but I think it would work well for what I do.

Thanks Mtboard for the reply. You may be right, of all the bikes I tested the HiFi was my favorite and it is spec'd well for the money. In the end with a good shop behind me, riding an L not an XL and the Trek/GF warranty I should give the HiFi a chance.

I will see Friday!

DRG

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

ex6

I have an '06 ex6 that I purchased in November. It is nice, but stock I found it to be a tad heavy goin' uphill. I put some money into it and upgraded the wheelset (FSAXC300), tires, saddle, and handlebars. Now that I think of it I could have payed for an ex7 or ex8 with all the upgrade money. But I got the bike on sale and it is pretty sweet now with the upgrades. Sometimes I think I could use the greater travel the HiFi provides so, I guess it comes down to price and how much travel you need.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    There is nothing wrong with the HiFi. Some lard butt simply had the shocks set way to soft on BIG jump resulting in pushing the rear shock to the limit. Rear wheel had no where to go bu up and inverting the shock and generally crapping the frame real good. It was TOTALLY pilot error. The HiFi is an AWESOME frame. Not all owners are very knowledgable.

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007

Did you buy a bike?

Well DRG-what did you decide???

DRG
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I bought the HiFi. I really like the way it handles after only about 20 miles or so. I have gone back and forth about buying it but I think with the way I ride (95% smooth single track and fire roads) and the fact that I ride a L make me feel better at times. I am following closely the way Fisher is handling this and so far feel like what they have said is a cover or patch. I guess time will tell....
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2004
    So what you are saying that it is ok for a frame to collapse because the shock is set too soft?

Does not give one a lot of confidence in a bike should your shock fail...does it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The frame shouldn't have failed like that even with the shock set too soft. It is poor frame design. The good thing is that it looks like it is an issue only with the XL frames though. Personally, I would be waiting for a bit to buy one until they get the frame problems sorted out. If i needed an XL i would not be buying for sure.

That being said I took the Hifi for a quick ride at a dealer and it handles great. I have an EX8 now and I would love to spend more time on the hifi. I like the lighter weight and the more nimble feel and it would definitely compliment my riding. But my EX8 I have lightened up and I really like it teh way it rides. I would ride both bikes and buy the one that feels best to you.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by DRG
    After a few years on a Cannondale Killer V hardtail I am upgrading to a FS bike. I have looked at several models and had decided on the base HiFi, but now after reading the post about it turning itself in the taco bike I may have to reconsider. I like the EX 6 alot too and it is a little cheaper, but the LBS told me they had had some issues with the rear shock. I really like the shop that carries Trek/GF so I would like to stay with those brands.

I would be riding a L frame so maybe I should not worry but I don't want to buy a bike that has a design flaw. I ride 99% trails and single track. I guess my question would be, is the apparent design flaw enough for you to switch to the EX 6? or something else?

Thanks

DRG
    I would put your money is a CD for a year. Then after this "folding bike" issue gets solved and Trek/GF puts out an offical press release on it's intentions to fix this problem....I would consider looking at them again. If you absolutely need a new bike this year I would look at another brand. I rode a 2000 GF Sugar three years before it failed. I didn't have any of the Sugar issues that people wrote about on mtbr.com. Then I broke two more frames within a 12 months and decided to pack it in.....I went over to Ventana. I'm happy with Ventana.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The folding bike issue is only with the hifi. The word has been good on the EX line for 07. I personally would step up to the ex7 to get the redesign they did for this year like another poster said. From what I read the Fuel ex7 and above have been getting nothing but positive reviews. Why would you not buy a trek/fisher bike because of an isolated instance with one model?

Again you should ride the different bikes you are interested in and then make up your own mind after looking at the info out there.