mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Stache and flat pedals

Anybody run flat pedals on there Stache ? Do your feet stay on the pedals well?

western NC
    Yep, I run flats and five tens, no issues.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Been running flats for just about a couple years now, also no issues besides being much more fun and adding to big @ss bmx bike affect

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2old View Post
    I don't I use SPD's
    When I do run flats I only wear FiveTen shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    Yep, I run flats and five tens, no issues.
    His setup is flawless.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Flat's on Stache are going to be likes flats on just about any other similar bike. Riding flats is a definite skill. I rode exclusively clipless for nearly 20 years and when I started riding flats (with Five Tens) is was a steep learning curve. I still have the 5-10s but am using Shimano AM7 shoes now, which I like quite a bit better than the 5-10s I had, but 5-10 makes a lot of different shoes.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The wife has flats on her Stache, and 5-10'a as well and she said that her first ride or two she had to consciously think about moving her foot the shoes stuck so well!
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

western NC
    I still have the scars to prove (still healing after over a year actually LOL) that flats will find and quickly show any and all flaws in technique if you're used to a clipless setup.

The top and bottom cuts were DEEP. This was at the very beginning of a ride too. And yes, I still finished my ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stache and flat pedals-shins.jpg  

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by 2old View Post
    I have used both flats and clipless on my Stache 9. Most recently the flat pedals (Specialized Boomslang) have been getting the nod due to the weather we have been having as I preferred not to have mud clogging my clipless pedals.

I hit a small jump a week ago and forgot I was not clipped in. I tried to (lazily) get some lift and both feet came off in mid-air. I managed to get them somewhat back near the pedals, but both feet slipped off as I landed and my saddle took the brunt of the impact. I managed to ride it out headed downhill, and the only damage was a few minor scrapes on my right shin. Totally my fault. If I had remembered that I wasn't clipped in when I foolishly tried to get some extra boost, I am pretty confident that this incident would not have happened.

When I decided to go with flats for the winter season, I figured a few wounds to my shins and/or calves were to be expected. Other than this recent faux paux, I had very good luck as this was easily the most damage that resulted from using the flats. Since we haven't had any significant rain for a while, I put my clipless pedals back on before riding this evening.

I prefer clipless in most situations, but the Boomslangs will be seeing more action when needed. The biggest reason I will generally use clipless on this bike is that when I am clipped in, my feet are in the same position on the pedal every time, whereas with the flats, I had to be very conscious of placing my feet on the platform in just the right position so me shoes didn't rub the crankarms and/or the chainstays. When I put my foot down on the Boomslangs, they generally stay right where I step on them so I have to lift my feet to adjust my foot placement, or risk my shoes rubbing the crankarm(s).

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I run flats all the time, not because I am against clipless, but because I hate the clipless shoes

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've tested these bike repeatedly and my flats or demo flats didn't make any difference. I use flats for most all riding now and never thought of it as specific to the bike.

FWIW, my wife and I have different Five Ten model shoes a few different flat pedals and have fallen in love with Chester pedals. So much that we've put some premium Canada and USA made pedals as secondary and use the cheaper Chesters. A friend has done the same. You can try very good flats without spending a lot of money.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Agreed on the Chesters, feel glued to the pedals.
    2017 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Chesters are very good. I have a pair on one of my bikes. I do prefer pedals with some pins in the middle though.
    Do the math.

western NC
    VP Vice pedals are tough to beat for the money.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    On really rough trails it can be slightly more difficult to keep your foot positioned on a hard tail. Not really an issue though ...see dirtjumpers, slopestyle riders, etc.