mtbr member
    May 2005

Squeaky Rockshox MC3 on EX9?

LBS told me this noise is common with the MC3 when I bought the bike, and said it would go away after it gets broken in. Just curious how long it takes sfor the this particular shock to stop the squeaky/squishy noise under compression? My EX9 is still very new, only a few months old with low miles, but the squeak is still there. Not any worse, and the functionally the shox is fine, just a little annoying.

Thanks

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004
    No problems over here, misses has used hers for close to 9 months now without any noise. The MC3 was v.oily/greasy initially tho, is yours ?

The problem we have is that the floodgate adjuster keeps closing without her knowing until her butt starts to hurt ! Although I'm unsure if we're not knocking it around when hanging it up or transporting it. Conversely, a pals keeps loosening off so perhaps it's a "design feature"...
    [SIZE="1"]Knobblies MTBing Blog

"Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I didn't experience any squeaky noises when I first got the bike, but it was definitely very oily. After each ride there will be plenty of excess oil on the stanchion. The oil eventually went away. I rode the bike again for the second season about a little over a month ago and experienced some squeaky noises after it was sitting around during the winter. I wasn't sure if it was the shock or the bearings in the pivots. But after a couple of rides it went away. So im guessing it may be the shock. This is the 2005 MC3.

mtbr member
    I usually spray a bit of teflon lube on that puppy from time to time. Helps keep the squeak down.

Dont pressure wash that sucker.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Haven't experienced excess oil residue on the stanchion and the floodgate adjust seems to stay put on mine. I just picked up the current MBAction mag today and they review the Fuel EX9.5 - same shock. According to them their first MC3 was noisy and Trek replaced it. I might check with the LBS and see what they say. Functionally it feels great, but that squeak didn't get any better after 14 miles of singletrack last night. Maybe I'm too picky?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by igere
    Haven't experienced excess oil residue on the stanchion and the floodgate adjust seems to stay put on mine. I just picked up the current MBAction mag today and they review the Fuel EX9.5 - same shock. According to them their first MC3 was noisy and Trek replaced it. I might check with the LBS and see what they say. Functionally it feels great, but that squeak didn't get any better after 14 miles of singletrack last night. Maybe I'm too picky?

I noticed the squeaky MC3 noise right away on the EX7 I played with at the LBS. Noises like that make me crazy. In fact, I was on my road bike a few weeks ago enjoying a long ride when a slight rattling noise started making me crazy. I stopped three or four times to check my tool kit under the saddle, water bottle mounts, and so on. Eventually I realized that the noise was coming from the little metal zipper clasp hitting the zipper on my jersey...

Anyways, I recently ordered an EX9 with a Fox RP3 rear shock. I don't want the stable platform/lockout features of the MC3, and the Fox shock is quieter. Stuck down, maybe, but definitely quieter.

mtbr member

I too have an 05 EX9 Rear Shock Squeak

When the floodgate is set to max + or alomost max + I get a pretty load squeak. I use a silicone spray on a rag to clean and lube but does not seam to help. Also a little play is developing in the rear shock travel. I double checked all mounting bolts on rear triangle and all good & trorqued to spec. Should I be worried? Warrenty issues?