mtbr member

Sqeaky Trek Fuel EX7

I have an '05 that has been making more noise than a VanHalen concert. I have replaced the bottom bracket, and re-torqued the crank bolts properly. I am starting to suspect the pivot bearings. There is a small amount of redish stain coming out of the lower pivot on the seat tube (the main pivot).

Also, when I grab the rear triangle with one hand, and the seat tube with the other, I can make the two go opposite directions with my arms. I imagine that if I can do that, then it really flexes when being riden. The funny thing is, that it usually only makes noise when pedaling under force.

Has anyone else had this problem? How much did that cost? I have a good LBS for sales, but iffy for service, and the other is great for service, but doesn't sell TREK's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

I feel your pain...

I have a similar thing happening with my Hifi Pro. It only creaks when standing and cranking hard. My pivot bolts are torqued and lubed...although it sounds like yours may need to be tightened up a bit from what you described. I think I have located the source of my problem to the cassette. When I lube the freehub and then put on the cassette (Sram 970) it goes away for about 20 miles before coming back. The cassette is making small grooves in the freehub body which I think is adding to some additional movement from the cassette. I will be switching to an XT cassette shortly to see if that helps.

Making a long story short...lube and torque the pivot bolts and check your cassette.

mtbr member
    Wow, I've never heard of the cassette cutting into the freehub.

I think that it's time to replace the suspension pivot bushings. Is this a job for the home mechanic or is it truely a job for my LBS? First off, when I talked to them, they said that it will take a week, because they have to disassemble it, then order the parts, wait for the parts, etc. I figured it came as one package, and you just replace everything.

So, does an '05 EX7 have bushings, and can I reasonably replace them at home?

mtbr member

The sweaks were from a cracked frame!

Sad to say, but I took my TREK into the dealer to have the suspension bushings or bearings replaced, and they found a crack in the frame. I had a feeling that was part of the problem, because everytime I would pedal with my right crank, the back end would go left. I was on the road one time looking down at the back end to see what was twisting. I could feel the play more on the road, when you're really hammering along. That also explains why I could twist the front and rear triangles with my hands. The crack is between the downtube and bottom bracket intersection.

The good news is that it's covered by their warranty, but they're just getting a new front triangle. Bad news is that it could take a week, or a month to get a new front triangle. I don't know exactly what they'll be able to do, because mine was an '05 with 100mm of travel and the new ones are 120mm and have a FOX Float RPL rear shock instead of the RockShox MC3.1. I assume that the old rear won't match up so well with the new geometry.

I was also wondering if I could pay the extra to swap up to the Remedy. I figured it might be in their best interest as well, or this may happen again. I'll know more on Monday, but just wanted to share my frustration.