mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Small ding on downtube of Rumblefish should I be concerned?

Small ding on downtube of Rumblefish should I be concerned?

The past few weeks I have had way too many rocks kick up and hit my down tube on my Rumblefish. One took some paint off down to the bare aluminum and it looks like it might have put a very shallow ding on the downtube by the BB. What do you guys think? It is hard to tell by the pictures but it looks like there is a very shallow ding. I am almost sure it is nothing to worry about but my OCD gets the best of me sometimes.
    I need to put some sort of rock guard on the down tube too bad nobody makes one for the RF

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Nope, what you have there is just a minor scratch. I have a dent in almost the exact same place with no ill effects. I also posted here though wondering how my frame would hold up. Should I worry about this dent?

Not Bad
    That right there is a kiss from Mother Nature herself, just letting you know that she's there! Congrats you got your first scratch, now go ride that thing like you stole it!

mtbr member
    That is why aluminum is a great material to make bike frames from. If that were carbon, you would be waiting on a new frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I like steel. I always worry about aluminum and carbon frames which The Rumblefish is my only non steel frame. I wish Trek would provide a down tube protector like they do for the chain stay. Scratches do not really bother me I am more concerned about any frame damage. I know it is a mountain bike it will get beat up. I am sure Trek engineers them to take some damage especially in areas that are prone for it

After reading erikrc10ís thread I feel much better. Now that is a dent! Mine not so much .I think I might have a slight dent but it is hard to tell with the finish on my RF.

mtbr member
    I have a very small scratch/dent on my EX9 in almost the exact same spot. While I'm not concerned about it affecting the strength of the frame it did wizen me up to the vulnerability on that area on these bikes. I went and purchased an aftermarket downtube protector after discovering the dent on my EX. It definitely provides piece of mind while flying through the loose and rocky trails. I don't know if anybody is making them for the RF, but a quick search on google or ebay should tell you.

mtbr member
    That's nothing at all, hardly a scratch.

And carbon is way way stronger than that. Observe this lovely video where they compare an aluminum and carbon frame.

"Let the wheels spin."

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclesteel View Post
    I need to put some sort of rock guard on the down tube too bad nobody makes one for the RF
    MTB Carbon Fibre Rock Guard for TREK SUPERFLY 100 ROCK GUARDZ | eBay
    I don't care what you ride or how you ride just as long as you ride.