Thread: SLR vs ZR 9000

mtbr newbie
    Mar 2007

SLR vs ZR 9000

Does anyone know the weight difference between Trek frames: SLR and ZR9000 Alloy?

Besides weight, does the Zirconimium in the alloy allow for any other benefits, compared again to the SLR (i.e. stiffness, lateral bending, etc.)?

I am looking for a new hardtail and the Trek 8000 caught my eye. Is the ZR9000 overkill for a newbie/weekend riding?

Sorry if this topic has been done before.
    Appreciate any response(s),

Sean

banned
    They're just advertising buzzwords, being brutally honest. Companies like Trek need this to make people think they have some sort of edge over the tubesets from other companies because they play the marketing game. It boils down to bases of 6000 or 7000 series, embellished with a few things here are there and contrary to what Trek claims, this alloy is not proprietary for bikes. I looked into this a while ago and this type of alloy is a commercial alloy being used in all sorts of things. That's not to say it's bad at all, but it's too hyped and you should be worried about more important things like the fit/geometry, componentry, and matching your riding style with the proper frame, not a couple tenths of a gram per pound of a doping element. The weight difference is inconsequential, amounting to one or two tenths of a pound, which is more related to the butting process over the actual alloy.

That said, the 8000 isn't a bad frame at all, from anything from a beginner to a racer.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    A good bike will suit anyone - provided that you ride it. Some more expensive bikes have a more race-oriented geometry that might be uncomfortable for a beginning rider. However, it is my experience that when a person makes a decent sized investment in a piece of equipment, they will use it more. The more you pay, the more you'll play.

Bottom line: get an idea of what you want and go ride some bikes. Buy the one you feel most confident on. The guys at your local bike shop should be able to steer you in the right direction, listen to them.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser