Go Big or Die Tryin'

Slash Geometry Issues

Just purchased a second hand Slash, size Large.
    I'm 6'1" and every bike I've had to date has been a Large. However, with the Slash I'm feeling cramped in the cockpit even with the seat all the way back and a longer 90mm stem. Feeling a little too much hand pressure and feeling like the bike wants to throw me over the bars. Not too much time on it yet as there are several inches of snow on the ground right now but I'm already considering getting rid of it. The 75 degree seat tube angle seems steeper than most bikes and I believe is the reason for the short cockpit. Anyone else have issues like this? Did it just take time to adjust? I really love the look and build quality of the bike and would hate to get rid of it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Slugs love beer.

mtbr member
    Give it some time. I hated it at first too, but I now love it. It took me a few weeks to adjust.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I had a Remedy and sized up when going to the Slash. The TT on the Slash is a bit shorter..

Go Big or Die Tryin'
    Ya I'm hoping I get used to it. What size stem are u guys running?
    Slugs love beer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finius T Flubberbuster View Post
    Ya I'm hoping I get used to it. What size stem are u guys running?
    I just started using a 35 mm stem a few weeks ago.

Free your heel...
    I went down a size from a large Roscoe to a 17.5 Slash (I'm 5'10) and I'm glad I did. I lowered the stem two spacers and rolled the bars forward just a bit and the bike feels great. Try lowering the stem, put it out of your mind and enjoy the bike.

Go Big or Die Tryin'
    Good idea. Thanks.
    Slugs love beer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    There are plenty of other threads on this, you should do a search and read what most have said about the Slash sizing. Trek sized the Slash down about 1/2 a size compared to the Remedy, for example. Trek argues this is done because the Slash is intended for more aggressive riding, and therefore assume riders want a smaller cockpit. This is partly true, but is flawed logic for an all mountain bike and makes it feel very cramped on climbs and regular rides...which is what you are experiencing. Most riders have gone a size up with a short stem. I'm 6'2", ride an XL with a 50mm stem. It fits great and minus the long wheelbase is perfect.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I'm 6'2" and went with the 21.5 after doing a demo ride on the 19.5. The large felt small while climbing for me as well, but didn't really bother me on the downhill.

mtbr member
    I'm also 6'2" and around 200lbs.
    I've Slash9 19.5" with 800mm bar and 50mm stem for about 7 weeks.
    I can't feel safe on 21.5" frame when there are words flying in the air "omg!,gnarly,holly .hit,waaaaay steep..."
    Instead of almost everyone here, I think smaller frame is better for steep,technical,aggressive riding.
    After I got the bike, for the beginning I thought if it would be better to get even 18.5" but now I got used to it..

It's true , I took saddle all the way up to get comfort knee stretch when I need to pedal ,than it's too high for me i have to lean over the bars more unnatural situtation.
    But who cares, I didn''t get this bike to ride it on roads,pavement or so...
    2012 Trek Slash 9