Super Clyde

Skye S vs. Skye SL

I'm looking for a new bike for my daughter, she's currently about 4'10 or 4'11" and 100#. I think I've narrowed the search down to the Skye S or SL in a 13.5" frame. My question is whether or not the $180 difference is worth it. The main differences are a 100mm hydraulic fork, 9sp drivetrain, and Shimano brakes. Has anyone else considered the two? Which one did you pick and why? My biggest concern is weight to be honest, I want to introduce her to some singletrack this spring so it has to be capable of off road riding. Input?
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I went with an SLX for my wife. Better brakes and better fork. It is a great fit for her and she loves this bike.

Super Clyde
    This is for my 9 year old daughter who will probably grow at least another 6-8", I don't know that I want to spend that kind of coin on her. If it was my wife I would with out question.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I see. I think I would still go with the SL. It will hold the value and you can sell it or trade up in a year or two.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I just bought my wife a Trek Skye SL with 13.5" frame and 27.5" tires. She is 5'1"

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    My wife just got a Skye SL. The crankset is awful, that came off immediately. That bike rocks as a 1x9.

The only other gripe about it is the wheels are kind of heavy.

I figure both likely apply to the S. To me, then, the biggest difference between the two is the front fork, and as light as your daughter is, I wonder if the might do OK with the low-end fork on the S.

Oh, and the color of the S is, I am told, gross and would gag a maggot. Which may trump everything.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    No complaints from my wife on the crankset or the fork on the SL. Of course.. we only ride "rail trails" and MUTs... no need for anything fancy. So far, my wife loves the SL and she says it's a major upgrade from her previous Diamondback bike. Agree... the bike is kind of heavy for it's size, but most mid-level aluminum mountain bikes are heavy anyway.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    ^^To be clear, she loves her bike. For her, getting the fork upgrade (and the pretty color) was worth the extra money, and I agree with her there. And, to be fair, part of the reason the wheels are heavy is because I slapped some Big Ben's on there. Fantastic tire but they are heavy. Yall don't listen to me, I'm not into those new-fangled "gearshifters" and "suspensions"... why, when I was your age... oh never mind.

That said, she's buy it for herself, but not for our kid.

Low speed, High Drag
    We just picked up a 15.5" Skye SL, and my girlfriend loves it. She's 5'4" and 124 lbs. It's a little heavy, but she shreds on it, just the same. We ride AZ singletrack, and so far, (one ride) the bike has done awesome for her. We're taking it to Sedona this Sunday, for a true test!!
    I need a cool saying to put here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Updated shot of the Skye SL after a few rides....

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Here ya go. Soma Clarence bars. 165mm Raceface crankset on the way. RF 32 n/w single chainring, in green of course. No chain guide, that ring never misses a beat. Matching Welgo magnesium pedals. Thinking about going to an 11-32 cassette (she never uses the 34) and putting a short arm rd on there, although if I didn't have those parts laying around I wouldn't bother. Nobbies are back on, possibly to stay there, as wifey has discovered the joys of tearing around the woods like a maniac. A month ago she had never been off the pavement.

Going 1x9 didn't hurt anything, she has plenty of range and she doesn't like fiddling with things so it suits her. She loves the bars. She gives the bike high marks for the ergonomics, the tires, the fork, and the seat. She really wants shorter cranks but after that I have been instructed to quit messing with the bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Skye S vs. Skye SL-image.jpg