Slow Poke
    Jun 2007

Size advise for Remedy 9

Hi,
    I am currently riding a 21.5" Top Fuel 9.9 SSL and ride cross-country. I want to try my hand at something a little more tech with a couple jumps and drops so I decided I'd like to order a 21.5 Remedy 9 2009. When I went to the local Trek shop, I was told its better to use a 19.5 instead of a 21.5 because the riding position is more upright for this type of riding, is this right or am I being B.S.'d? They happen to have a 2008 19.5 in stock at the store. I'm 6'2" right on the dot.
    Frank

>>Edit to clarify, when I tried the bike at the store, it felt a little shorter, thats when I was told about the different riding position. Should I order the 21.5 and wait till January, or is the store guy right in saying the 19.5 is the right size for me on a Remedy?
    Last edited by zonian1903; 09-20-2008 at 11:06 PM.

bike buster
    I'm 6'4" and the 19.5" Remedy's top tube felt way too short. Typically, you want a slightly smaller bike for technical riding/jumps/drops/etc. because the bike is easier to throw around and more maneuverable. The second I sat on the 19.5" it didn't feel right at all, though. I went for the larger frame and it fits great. The large frame also provides a long wheel base which feels very stable at high speeds. All in all, I think it's best to buy what you are most comfortable on and not what people say you 'should' be riding.

Slow Poke
    Jun 2007
    I tried the bike on the lot a couple more times today and you're right, it felt way to short. So I went ahead and ordered the 21.5. However, I ordered a 2008 from a bikeshop in the states (I'm currently overseas.).
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If your primary use is for AM, and your planning on hitting whatever jumps and drops you happen to find, get the larger size absolutely.

If your primary use is for riding agressive on the descents, doing some jumps and drops, and you want a bike that can make the climbs to get you there, get the smaller size. Smaller bikes are easier to throw around - go watch some BMX'ers if you don't believe me.

Whoever at the shop was probably going based of you saying you wanted to go hit jumps and drops and tech.

For slow speed stuff, throwing the bike around, tech etc, smaller bikes are the way to go.

For high speed freeride, climbing, general trail use, and jumps and drops thrown in, the 21.5 should be a better fit.

Hope that helps

Slow Poke
    Jun 2007
    Thanks William
    I'm not really sure what I am going to end up doing more, but there are allot of LONG dh rides here, so that will probably be the brunt of it.

mtbr member
    For comparasin, I am a hair under 6' and originally thought the L would be too long for me witht the stated 24.5" TT. I am now running it with a 70mm stem and can not imagine going much shorter. My seat is about level with the bars being 28.5" from the top of the seat to the center of the crankset following the seat tube and the distance from the nose of the seat to the center of the bar clamp is 21.5". In short, I don't think there is a stem length that will fit a 6'4" frame on my bike comfortably without getting over the front too much.

Hope this helps.

Slow Poke
    Jun 2007
    Thanks Scott, after riding a 19.5, I came to the same conclusion and I had a 21.5 ordered. It arrived a couple days later and my father-in-law was able to FedEx it to me on Saturday, it should arrive in a couple days.

Frank

mtbr member
    nice, take some pics when you get it : )

Members who have read this thread: 0