Thread: Should I?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Should I?

I'm new to the sport and am looking for a used bike. I am looking for a fun way to get some exercise and enjoy the outdoors. I'll do street and light trail riding. Nothing too gnarly at least until I can pedal more than 50 yds without being out of breath.

I found a 2000 trek 6000 in what looks to be great shape. I've read many reviews and feel that this bike will suit my needs, at least for a while.

The he bike is a 19.5 inch frame with 26 inch wheels. The owner claims it's been lightly used and I won't be disappointed.

I'm 6',1" and 240 lbs. Is the 19.5 inch frame suitable for my size/weight?

It seems the front DR is the weak link in this model. I may upgrade if it gives me issues. Is there anything else I should specifically inspect prior to purchase?

He listed the bike for $300 but after I showed him its value on bbb, I got him down to $150. Does that seem like a fair price?

Any info or advice regarding this specific model is appreciated as it's the only bike for sale locally in my price range (under $200).

I'm meeting the seller tomorrow afternoon so quick replies are appreciated.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm not sure a standard aluminium bike from 2000 is worth much at all. 2 years ago I sold a comparable bike from 2008 for about the same price. It was a 27speed with v-brakes.

Unless it's seen any maintainace recently chances are you will have to change wire/hoses for brakes and shifters, chain, cassette and possibly crank chain rings. These parts don't have to cost much as it's a 24 speed bike. But it will probably blow your $200 budget, especially if you don't replace the parts your self.

If no parts needs to be replaced and there are no other options then riding this bike definitely beats riding nothing at all (: This is not a bike you buy thinking it can be upgraded to modern standards.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Bought a 2005 Trek 4500 for $240.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Looking good, even got disc brakes (:

Are you experiencing any problems with your chain/shifting? Looks like your bike has been pushed backwards a bit just before taking the photo. The chain sticks to the big chainring and the rear derailleur looks to be streched to the max.

This usually is a sign of wear. Do you know how long it's been since casette, chain and chain rings have been repaced? Since it's an 8 speed drive train replacing these parts, if necesary, shoudn't cost much.