Gravity hurts

Shimano Deore Adjustment Help

I'll admit I'm new "again" to riding. I rode quite a bit in college on a old GT Outpost and the bug got me again. I recently upgraded to a Trek 6000 . I love it, but am having some trouble adjusting the front and rear derailleur. The chain is rubbing on the outside of the front derailleur when I'm in the highest possible ratio and it isn't shifting as smooth as possible on the back in the 4-7 range. I have to bump it sometimes to get it to go . I know that the Deore is a pretty smooth component and it shouldn't be that hard, but I actaully had very little trouble with my old GT. Can someone give me the "Idiots Guide to Adjusting Deore Derailleurs"? I know it's a rookie deal, but have pitty on me. Is there a full meal deal start from scratch approach?
    Thanks love the forum.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/byreg...mageField2.y=3

The "How To's" at Park's site should help you out.

Gravity hurts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/byreg...mageField2.y=3

The "How To's" at Park's site should help you out.
    Gracias!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    There's a good chance that all you need is a little tweaking of the barrel adjusters on the cables.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle88
    I recently upgraded to a Trek 6000 .
    If by "recently" you mean a few weeks or a month, it's probably cable stretch. After a little use, the cables settle in and everything gets out of adjustment. The brakes should be feeling looser, as well. That should be a free service at the shop where you got it.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

Gravity hurts
    Thanks for the help. I originally adjusted the barrel screw and it was fine, but I think the cable stretched and it is now changing. My front disk break is also dragging now, so I think that is also due to cable stretch. I'll ride another week and then bust down to my LBS and have them go through it. I feel pretty good about adjusting the screws and barrel, but I'm not too sure about pulling the cable. I'm going to see if they'll let me back there to watch. Thanks to that link I think from the Parks site I think I understand it. The best tip from there was to hold the derailluer while you adjust the screws. You can really feel which way it's moving better than see it. Thanks GMCTTR and Thirdraw.

One last detail. It only drags when I'm pedaling hard and/or standing. I think it's just that close to being okay, but I didn't know if you guys would think that's the symptom of a bigger problem. There's been some talk of crappy chains on Treks lately.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Probably just cable stretch. It does not sound like a chain problem.