Thread: Seat Post Creak

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Seat Post Creak

Hello, I have a 2006 Top Fuel 98 with a Bontrager X lite post. The creaking sound from this post is driving me nuts. Are there any "fixes" for this problem? Otherwise I think I'll ditch the carbon and get a Thomson Elite post. Also, what is the correct size of the post for the Top Fuel 98?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

There isn't much you can....

do about it if the creaking is coming from the actual seat post body inside the frame. Greasing the post is obviously a NO NO! In my experience most creaks associated with carbon posts are usualy related to the interface between the seat rails and seat clamp as long as seat post OD and seat tube ID are within specifications. I assume that you have checked both of these diameters to within and inch of their lives? If you haven't tried tightening the seat clamp bolts give that a shot. If you have the two bolt clamp system just make sure that you tighten both bolts the same amount so you don't change the pitch of your seat.

Also what year 98 do you have. The 04 and 05 98's used the straight X Lite carbon post. For the most part these didn't creak unless the clamp was the problem. However the 06 98used the X Lite carbon ACC post, basicly a carbon post with a super light aluminum liner. These have been known to creak if the carbon shell loosened from the alu liner. There's no fix for the ACC creak, unless it's a loose seat clamp, except a new seat post. The newer ACC posts don't seem to be having this problem, yet! Another thing to check is the inside of the seat tube. Shine a light down there and see if there are any iregularities or any kind of dirt build up in the tube. It doesn't take much of bump in the seat tube to allow the post to move inside the tube and possibly cause a creak. Not likely but it could be the cause as well.

As for the seat post diameter, the Fuel uses a 31.6mm diameter seat post.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for the feedback Squash. I have a X-Lite carbon ACC post. I'll check the seat rails and seat clamp and make sure they're tight. One thing I haven't done is check inside the seat tube. I'll check if there's anything inside there.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The creaking on my Fuel was the beginning of a crack on the seat tube. It was located vertically down from the slot at the top of the seat tube. Creaking carbon can be a sign of something bigger, look very closely, good luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Squash, I think you may have found the problem. I took off the post and looked inside. I thought I saw something so I took a piece of conduit pipe and knocked off a small thin piece of Carbon fiber. Then I reinstalled the post and took if for a ride. The creak has been silenced. The piece of fiber must have been rubbing on the post. I'll take it out again but right now I'm really happy not to hear that nasty creak.

Thanks again.

Double-metric mtb man
    I have found that on my Cake that a creaking seatpost means one of two things...either the seatpost clamp is too tight or the seat itself is loose, and generally it is the former.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Hopefully that was the problem Pass.....

we had one in the shop over the last couple of months that drove us absolutely nuts! A 5000 road bike. Turns out that at some point during the finishing process a little drop of clear coat ended up getting down in the seat tube. Not much of a drop, hard to almost impossible to see, but just enough of an uneven spot to make the seat post creak. But keep in mind that the others are correct as well. A creak in the seat post area could be a symptom of any of the other problems mentioned as well, seat binder too tight, seat clamp loose, a forming crack, something in the seat tube, etc.

From the sound of it you have found the cause of your problem. But keep a sharp eye on it for a while and check it regularly. It think you'll be fine now, but you never know. Glad we could help out.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"