mtbr member
    Mar 2007

RXL and XXX Bontrager Seatposts

Looking for a lightweight carbon seatpost and wondering if anyone has tried these out? The reviews I've read haven't been the best but it looks like they changed them recently. Think they would hold up to aggressive xc / trail use on a hardtail?

mtbr member
    I know multiple people with both of these seatposts. As far as I know they haven't had any issues. Bontrager makes high quality products so I think you will be fine.

mtbr member
    have the xxx seatpost and it's fantastic. will never ride another brand again, and i came from a thomson elite. plush, bombproof and crazy light. what more can you ask for?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I've run the RXL on my superfly HT. I will say I had issues keeping the saddle from rotating. I did have a 5mm offset version, but ran the saddle slammed back. I swapped it out for a 20mm offset version with the saddle run much closer to center. Never rotated after that. I would take that into consideration. I would NEVER use this post if I require the saddle to be slammed back like I had it before since it would rotate almost every ride, but WILL use and continue to use the post if I can have the saddle centered. Strong post and relatively cheap. I do like the "infinite" adjustability of the saddle tilt, but it can be a headache to do micro adjusts. Just keep that in mind too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

I have had and continue to use a XXX post on my stache. Fantastic post.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mhopton View Post
    I have had and continue to use a XXX post on my stache. Fantastic post.
    Do you ever have rotation slip issues with the post? I run my saddle with about that much rear offset and mine would rotate every ride. It's probably more of a personal technique issue, letting myself sit the saddle that hard.

Are you using a torque wrench on it? Carbon paste on the internals? I didn't put anything on it, but did torque it. I did "fix" my issue by getting the 20mm offset post.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughtime View Post
    Do you ever have rotation slip issues with the post? I run my saddle with about that much rear offset and mine would rotate every ride. It's probably more of a personal technique issue, letting myself sit the saddle that hard.

Are you using a torque wrench on it? Carbon paste on the internals? I didn't put anything on it, but did torque it. I did "fix" my issue by getting the 20mm offset post.
    Two things worked for me as I originally had the same issue. First, I had to retrain myself a bit and remember that I wasn't on a full suspension bike anymore and had to slightly unweight the saddle over bumps. Two, the combination of carbon paste and torquing the crap out of single bolt solved the issue. Has been good now for several rides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The Bontrager Rhythm Elite post is probably the best bang for the buck post on the market. They are weight competitive with a Thomson and ride just about the same and lots are available as "take off's" at local Trek dealers or on Ebay. The only issue? There is no set-back version. Before you go RXL over the Rhythm Elite, compare the weight. As for the XXX, I think the XXX seatposts (and handlebars) are often cloned/copied by overseas vendors and sold for cheap on ebay -- make sure you know what you are buying.

Sooz
    I have an RXL post on my Fuel EX-9 and have used the bike from cross country type racing through to heavy trail use, and am very satisfied with the seatpost. It has proven to be a great seatpost for this bike and its usage. I changed from a folding clamp type seatpost collar to a fixed screw seatpost collar. I also have a Race XXX Lite post on my TopFuel 9.9 and whilst the post seems very good and light, I am currently experiencing issues with the post slipping during heavier cross country use - I suspect it is a carbon seatpost-carbon frame seatpost tube bedding issue. I am going to apply some carbon non-slip paste to the seatpost in an attempt to solve the sliding issue. If that does not work, I will take a look at an alternative seat collar. I tighten my seat post collars to 5.5 Nm. I have had no issues with the micro/infinite adjustment for the seat tilt. Just make sure you properly torque the seat bolt (14-15 Nm) - much tighter than other bolts on the bike. For reference I am 195 lbs and use XL frames.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator

Fake Bontrager EVERYWHERE....

Quote Originally Posted by evilsjg View Post
    The Bontrager Rhythm Elite post is probably the best bang for the buck post on the market. They are weight competitive with a Thomson and ride just about the same and lots are available as "take off's" at local Trek dealers or on Ebay. The only issue? There is no set-back version. Before you go RXL over the Rhythm Elite, compare the weight. As for the XXX, I think the XXX seatposts (and handlebars) are often cloned/copied by overseas vendors and sold for cheap on ebay -- make sure you know what you are buying.
    ^This. If you paid under $50 for the XXX post brand-new....it's most likely a Chinese Bontrager counterfeit. Avoid.

Here is mine, with the carbon-specific 7x10mm clamps. At 205g for the 20mm setback one - it's literally a work of art. Make sure the OEM Bontrager posts have the telltale 3mm reinforcement tapering, at the front and rear of the post. Looking at the bottom of the post....the opening should be oval, with the thicker reinforcements running through the entire length of the seatpost...counterfeits only "show" a one-inch deep taper. Genuine USA-made, Bontrager post graphics show, "OCLV Carbon MC", while the fakes show, "HCM Carbon" on the non-drive side of the post. Finally, the inner layup finishes for the imitation seatpost is very sloppy, while the real McCoy is smooth and well-made: RXL and XXX Bontrager Seatposts-rxxxl2.jpgRXL and XXX Bontrager Seatposts-real_bontrager_rxxxl.jpgRXL and XXX Bontrager Seatposts-rxxxl_taper.jpgRXL and XXX Bontrager Seatposts-fake_rxxxl.jpg
    Last edited by Zachariah; 12-22-2013 at 12:03 AM.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"