dpo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Rumblefish tire selection

I have a 2012 Rumblefish, it's about a yr old and am due for a new set of rubber. I am wondering what tires you all are using when replacing the stock Bontragers? I ride in Norcal ( Auburn ) and Foresthill. Very rough rocky terrain. What I do not like about the Bontragers is on the front when hitting rocks there is a lot of lateral movement. Other than that they haven't been that bad, believe it or not I haven't even had a flat..knock on wood

I am considering switching to tubeless, to save weight, however I have no place outside or in a garage to store my bike so I just bring it inside..and am worried about the sealant making a mess Thoughts? Is it possible to have a tubeless set up kept indoors on carpet? lol

Any 29'er tire recommendations would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I replaced the original tires on my '12 RF Elite with a Continental Mountain King on the front and a Race King on the back. Both were black chili rubber compound but did not have 'protection' sidewalls. I would get protection sidewalls if buying again. These tires are light and roll well.

Just sold my RF and will have a new Fuel EX 9 29er next week. I'm going to try Geax AKAs -- the UST/tubeless version. They're a bit less money, weight isn't bad, and have a pretty good reputation.

I wouldn't be worried about parking your bike inside if the tires are tubeless tires. I went tubeless on those non-UST Continentals and they would leak Stan's sealant from pinholes for about a week. After that it was not an issue.

J79
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I never had a Tubeless set-up to spontaneous leak out any sealant, so I canīt see why the bike could not be stored indoors. Always used tubeless compatible wheels with tubeless compatible tires.
    The set up of a tubeless tire can be a bit messy, but when you are careful and directly rinse of the leaked sealant you should be alright. But beware, donīt over-inflate your tire. Have had a Schwalbe Nobby Nic exploding while setting it up to 5 bar pressure, due to a failing manometer I over-inflated the tire. Trust me, you donīt want to have that kind of mess inside your house.

As for Tires, I am now running the Michelin Wildgrip`rs 2.25 tires, very happy with their performance. a very nice all round tire for every day riding. When, or if, the summer really starts here in Europe, I will possibly switch to the Wildrace`r tire.
    I like the feedback of the tires, the tires seem a bit more responsive and predictable than the nobby nics I used before. They also seem to have less rolling resistance, roll smoother. And are quite a bit cheaper in comparison to other tires.
    I Used Bontrager 29-3 and 29-1 tires as well in the past. Liked them both, but they were not so suitable as allround tire, great tires for dry conditions.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I had the same lateral movement issue with the 29-4 on my 2012 Rumblefish which I put up with for about 3 months. Switched to Schwalbe Hans Dampfs and it was totally cured. Completely changed they way the bike rode and handled for the better. I picked up a second wheelset and set it up with a Nobby Nic front and Racing Ralph rear. Makes a nice rolling combo for the less gnarly trails.
    I have been tubeless for three years and never had a flat or a sealant leak in all that time. I keep my bikes in the house on carpet.
    I check my tire pressure before each and every ride because they all leak a little air and I'm particular about the pressure I run. Once you get it dialed in to the sweet spot that complements your suspension and riding style it is worth the trouble.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I recoment checking out Schwalbe tires. I bought a set of rocket rons for my fuel ex 8 a couple months ago. Shipping takes a couple weeks because of customs/shipping. Tires are cheap from discount bike, but shipping is alot. But overall their price is one of the best. I paid about $85 for a set shipped of rocket ron snake skin evo tires. Most places want $65 for one tire! Anyway nobby nic is a great tire. Pending how heavy you are and how rocky it is the Rocket ron are a great tire and will probably put them on down the road. Also the the Bontrager XR3 is a nice tire.

Schwalbe 29" folding MTB 29" Tyres & Tubes Components
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

dpo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks all this really helps out alot. I will go ahead and go the tubeless route. Schwalbe sounds like the what I need for the terrain around here. And I have heard good things about them as far as the RF and handling goes. I will check your links for prices.

It looks like most sellers have the 29'er evo for front and rear, or the Hans Dampf 29'er with the Pacestar compound for the rear and Trailstar compound for the front, if I am reading most of these sites correctly. Thanks again for the replies!!