mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Rumblefish sizing??

I test rode a 2012 Rumblefish Pro. I really liked it. It was quick , handled well and seemed to fit me just fine. Then I realized that it was a 17.5 inch frame. How could this be? I am 6 ft tall, wear size 32 pants and have a cycling inseam (when measured the Rivendell way) of 34 inches. All the charts i see, comments on this board say I should be riding at least a 19 inch bike. All of my other bikes are larger ,58 cm road bike, large Bullit, 19 inch cross country bike. Perhaps I need to go back and ride it again? Or do these bike run big?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I don't know about Rumblefish but I ride a 17.5 size Hardrock 29er and fit well on my friend's 17.5" Superfly 100 and a demo Camber Comp 29er so it seems like that's my size (with 29ers). I'm 6-1 with a 30 inch inseam (pants, don't know about Rivendell). I let standover height guide me but happily the reach from the seat and pedals also seams to work (on the bike's I've mentioned anyways). There's a lot more to bike fit than your height (as I'm sure you know).

I really like the Rumblefish's specs and I should have a chance to ride one in a couple of weeks. I hope I hate it so I'm not tempted to get one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I am 5'-11" with 32" inseam and ride the 19" Rumblefish.....it fits me perfectly. Shortened the stem and put on a wider bar with a lttle bit more rise.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm 6' 3" and and ride an XL 2012 RF Elite. Also shortened the stem and widened the bars for a perfect fit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I am 6-1 and 33in inseem i ride a 19in 2012 Rumblefish pro, I put a 50mm o% stem and a wider 50mm rise bar and it is perfect for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm 5'10 with a 32" inseam and i just ordered a 17.5 RF elite. rode a 17.5 demo bike and it fit nicely. i currently have a 18" 4300

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I am 6' and rode a 17.5 rumblefish and now ride a 17.5 Superfly 100. I test rode the 19" at a Trek demo day and it felt big. I do have a 20mm setback seat post and a 90mm stem. I would test ride the 19" and see if you like it better only you can tell which one you like best.

dpo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I am 5' 8 and ride a 17.5 RF. Perfect fit for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I am in a bit of a dilemma, a local shop is offering the 2012 Rumblefish at a great price, Im , 5 11, short legs , long torso, normally ride a 20 inch hardtail , 26 inch wheels.
    i rode the 17.5 around the carpark, it felt great handling wise, i was surprised how sharp it felt, but i felt a bit bunched up and more up right than i am used to.
    Rode the 19, it felt more comfortable with arm position etc , but the bike itself felt more cumbersome when it comes to handling, not as sharp as the 17.5.
    What is the norm with this bike? would you say its a bike where you generally ride a bit more up right as in the 17.5? Or will the slightly cumbersome type feel be something i get used to and improve with the 19?

I

passed out in your garden
    6"2' and a half, dont know leg lengths
    21" frame, shortened stem, and seat forward, seems to fit well
    I probably shouldve got the 19", but Im not so sure and am still happy, might even go a shorter stem one day to try it
    but the bike itself rocks
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I am in the same boat as silver fern. The 17.5 Rumblefish is a a great price too. However, it is the only size in stock. There are no lager sizes to try. I almost pulled the trigger last weekend as I again rode it and it felt fine, quick and agile. I suppose I should hurry up and "fish or cut bait"

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I guess my main question is to Rumblefish owners, do you ride this bike with a slightly more upright position than you do with other bikes?
    the Geometry is different, long wheel base, short top tube compared to average.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Potterymouth, under the recommendation of the bike shop, i tried the 19 with a short stem , perfect, I brought it home.

mtbr member
    6ft 34 inseam, 19" 2012RFElite -Stock. Except Seat and Kronolog Post (5 months, lots of abuse, no issues)
    Stock bars plenty wide enough for where I ride.. dang trees, need a good grip on the bars..lol.
    I would say it is a little more upright. I rode the specialized Stumpy Comp, Camber and the Opus 1.
    I liked the Stumpy but was only available in med.. and it felt a little sluggish going uphill. The camber felt like a pig.. not the ride I was looking for. The Opus one was nice at only 26lbs.. but, I was worried about durability. The RF seemed not much better, until out on the trails.. The climbing is even better now that I went tubeless, and downhill.. reason I bought the Kronolog.. drop it and go like the bat mobile Compared to the other bikes it just clicked.. 6 months later.. I still love it. Without being able to ride the trails it is hard to judge.. some bikes feel better than others. I tried the 17.5 and found it too cramped. But it was easier to throw around… now that I do not try to ride the RF like a 26er anymore.. it is much faster and when conditions are right I lean it further into the corners that I ever dared lay down my hard tail (Kona Caldera 2009). Just as a note if you ride steep up and some fast downs I highly recommend a dropper post = confidence. I had panic attacks after laying out the money for the bike.. I use to just stare at it in the garage.. wondering if I made the right decision. My last bike, I listened to the shop, I should have gone 29 and FS right off the bat. Knowing more now.. I was not afraid to ask to ride the bike. If they said no, I walked away. Never buy a bike without riding it, especially if they rent it.
    night riding - it's an adiction

passed out in your garden
    Quote Originally Posted by Element36 View Post
    Never buy a bike without riding it,
    opps.....thats how I ended up with my Rumblefish
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Think I am going to pass on the 17.5 Rumblefish and save my pennies for a large Transition Bandit 29. Then again, the Bandit in large is not a whole lot bigger that the 17.5 'Fish. BTW , it is a Trek demo bike, priced at $3200. Any thing else with full XT is way more than that however. Thinking......

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've found that every bike shop recommends the size bike they have in stock if you're between sizes.