Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

rode my trek 6000 for 6miles and guess what happened

my damn chain broke going up hill... only owned the bike for a few days... first time riding it too... this is bad...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Smile

Not surprised, bought mine on Friday and the next day guys in a store put a new chain for free. They said the chain was so so. I was having problems changing gears esp. when applying a lot of pressure.

p.s. I see you didn't change your saddle, I was in agony after using it for a couple of hours

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    I've actually seen that happen with a few new bikes of different brands. Stock chains have a habit of sucking.

However, I would cite your obvious superhuman strength as the culprit. Poor HG-73, it didn't have a prayer...
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Yeah the chain on my 6000 broke after the first trip on the trail. My Sram has been holding up great, and the powerlink is awesome to have.

Edit: I dunno if its just me being hard on hardware, but I broke the screw that holds the seat in place in half on friday...was a fun ride back with no seat
    "If I am cut, do I not bleed?" -Kane

mtbr member
    Did you change gear during up hill riding? Usually when change gear during up hill would cause tremendous force on the chain itself and cause the chain to break.
    Best regards,
    Jeff Huang
    KMC Chain Industrial Co.,Ltd.
    E-mail: jeff@kmcchain.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Are the chains the same on all Trek bikes?

I play hard to want
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickK
    I was having problems changing gears esp. when applying a lot of pressure.
    Bikes and cars with manual transmissions have one thing in common: you don't want to shift at full throttle.
    It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

mtbr member
    my stock chain on my trek 4300 broke on me 15 miles away from my car. luckily, I had a chain breaker on me, and I turned the bike into a SS so I could get out. Stock chains suck. upgrade em.
    I live in Maine and I hate lobster.

mtbr member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tygger
    Are the chains the same on all Trek bikes?
    I don't believe so, you can check out the trek website for more bike spec. information.
    Best regards,
    Jeff Huang

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You can order a set of 3 new pins for $4 or so. I did so and ordered two SRAM chains at the same time for $12 a piece.

My chain HG50 hasn't yet broken despite my abuse. I've been easing up when shifting though. I got jammed it between the lowest chainring and the chainstay twice and got it jammed in the front deraileur once but it's still intact. Maybe you were just hard on the chain?

Also, I have a new Trek 4300 and the seat's not too bad. Sure it was terrible at first, but I tilted it forward a bit and ride with padded shorts. But now my hands are bearing too much weight and I end up with achey wrists. Eh, I guess one either compromises or buys a new seat.

Never enough time to ride
    Was wondering when this would show up on the boards. Trek has been doing a pretty piss poor job of pressing in the fixing link in the shimano chains, they're either pressing them in too far, or actually dimpling the chain plates.

Dealers should have gotten a notice to check this and repair it on Treks dime if it was too messed up. That's been most of our issue with chains breaking on Treks any way.

Hope this sheds a little light on things.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    what brand, type of chain should I get for spare. they put on a new chain for me but I don't wanna be stuck while riding again. thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It's pretty hard to screw up the install on a SRAM chain. The quick link is easy to disassemble and reassemble. Go with one of those.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    KMC has a quick link for Shimano chains. That is what I now use in place of the replacement pins. They work fine and I have never had a stuck or tight link with them.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Try KMC X9 or X9SL(super light), both comes with reusable missing link. Its compatible w/ Shimano HG system. same quality but save you some coins.
    Last edited by KMC Representative; 06-12-2007 at 12:53 AM.
    Best regards,
    Jeff Huang

Gravity hurts
    Quote Originally Posted by squish
    Was wondering when this would show up on the boards. Trek has been doing a pretty piss poor job of pressing in the fixing link in the shimano chains, they're either pressing them in too far, or actually dimpling the chain plates.

Dealers should have gotten a notice to check this and repair it on Treks dime if it was too messed up. That's been most of our issue with chains breaking on Treks any way.

Hope this sheds a little light on things.

happy trails...

squish
    Have the dealers really been notified? Or should they HAVE been notified...
    I'm nervous about my chain...

Never enough time to ride
    They should know about it and the problem should be fixed before you pick up the bike. If your wondering take it into the dealer and have them look at it.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

Gravity hurts
    I'm pretty sure the place I got mine (the last one to have it in Indiana) would just say "uhhh ya, we took care of that" and not have any idea what I was talking about. I'm thinking about just replacing it now and not have it break and me come down on my cross bar. OUCH!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KMC Representative
    Did you change gear during up hill riding? Usually when change gear during up hill would cause tremendous force on the chain itself and cause the chain to break.
    I agree. While it isn't what you want to hear, broken chains are usually due to user error. Either the user who installed it, or the user who's shifting it under load while riding up hill. One technique that you should learn is to slightly "clutch" the shift by barely letting up on the pedal pressure while you shift and until the chain finds the new gear. You can't shift a manual transmission car under power either.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Cause:
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickK
    I was having problems changing gears esp. when applying a lot of pressure.
    Solution:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    One technique that you should learn is to slightly "clutch" the shift by barely letting up on the pedal pressure while you shift and until the chain finds the new gear. You can't shift a manual transmission car under power either.

Shifting under pressure (like climbing) puts alot of side pressure on the chain. Try to let up a bit on the power and listen to your bike to see if you're shifting smoothly.

Forgot to add: Shift before you have to. Try to get in gear at the base fo the climb if possible.

MTBR Demi-God
    Under normal usage, chains do hold up, provided they have been installed correctly. As mentioned by several posters, the likely reason why the chain failed on you is because of improper shifting technique.

I own a Trek 4900, and a Fuel... both had the stock chains in them which served me pretty well. I eventually did replace them due to chain elongation, but had no complaints whatsoever when they were fine. The chains lasted me over a year.

Also, make sure that you are cleaning/lubing your chain regularly.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Get a Sram, my shamano on my ex7 lasted 2 days. I have yet to break a Sram and always break my shamano.

On another note, will you dealer cover this? Mine did, twice and then they put an a sram, and now no more problems.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Well, I guess I can join the club... mine just broke while going up a really steep hill. I wasn't shifting gears either.

So what's the best chain to buy?

Gravity hurts
    It doesn't seem to be a running problem. I have close to 150 miles on mine and no problems with the chain (knock on wood). The only thing are my derailures going crazy. It only happens when I am standing up or petaling hard. It could be the chain letting me know it's about go time. I'm taking it in to the LBS that I got it from on Thursday so they can go through it (2 month free tune up). I'll let you know what they find.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    That just means your derailleur needs a slight adjustment -- the lbs should take care of it no problem, this is normal and probably has nothing to do with your chain. If you are interested in tinkering with it yourself check out: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64

Your H and L limits screws are probably fine so long as your aren't shifting the chain off of the cogs. Check out the indexing-- this can be adjusted w/o tools from the barrel adjuster.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast