Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

rode my trek 6000 for 6miles and guess what happened

5K views 40 replies 24 participants last post by  Fishritewillie 
#1 ·
my damn chain broke going up hill... only owned the bike for a few days... first time riding it too... this is bad...

See less See more
#29 ·
Dawn Rider said:
This just happened to mine also. I was just pedaling across a parking lot. The LBS got me a new one but I don't trust the stock Shimano now. I put a SRAM 971 on it and off I went!
Let me know how the 971 works out. I just ordered one. The reviews in here where pretty bad, but usually just the people that are pissed write in. I'm not expecting any problems and this one came with a powerlink. Which I'm definately looking forward to. :thumbsup:

#31 ·
As long as you have the right length of chain it should last. Like Kyle88 said the only time people write reviews on a chain is if breaks. I have lower end sram chain on mine (PC 951) and even though I don't clean and lube it as often as I should I've never had a problem with it.

#33 ·
So far the 971 is great. I rode 16 miles on Sunday with no problems but it was a bike and hike trail. I'll let you know when I hit the trail at the lake again. I'm holding off because I'm still recovering from a crash 2 1/2 weeks ago. I love being able to take the chain off to clean it .

#34 ·
Dawn Rider said:
So far the 971 is great. I rode 16 miles on Sunday with no problems but it was a bike and hike trail. I'll let you know when I hit the trail at the lake again. I'm holding off because I'm still recovering from a crash 2 1/2 weeks ago. I love being able to take the chain off to clean it .
FWIW, I have a Sram 971 on my Fuel EX-8.. its been flawless so far, good shifting and all.

#36 ·
revrnd said:
Has Trek switched to SRAM chains as their supplier? My '07 SU200 & my '08 Fuel EX 8 both have SRAM chains on them from the factory.
I wonder.. my 07 came with a Shimano HG73.. It had no problems but I did replace it after several hundred K of off road use.

#38 ·
D-Sims said:
my stock chain broke today. well one of the links were loose, so i just took it off.
i have one question about a sram chain. do you need a chain breaker for the power link?
To take the chain off nope, just squeeze the powerlink with one hand and push the ends of the chain that connect to the powerlink together. If your going to add to the chain you might, although I've heard of people having 2+ powerlinks on a chain.

#40 ·
sweet..

Modena said:
To take the chain off nope, just squeeze the powerlink with one hand and push the ends of the chain that connect to the powerlink together. If your going to add to the chain you might, although I've heard of people having 2+ powerlinks on a chain.
i think i will just get a power link then for my stock chain.

#41 ·
2000 miles this summer!

that's right I just hit the 2000 mile mark this summer (June-August) with my Trek 6000:thumbsup: with very few problems with the bike. Now for the body.....it did take awhile to get use to riding hard 5 days a week with the occassional crash/fender bender. Any suggestions on purchasing new tires. I ride about 30 miles a day 5 or 6 days a week with 10 miles spent on the the pavement and the rest on trails (Hills, mud and roots). Thanks for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.