Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

rode my trek 6000 for 6miles and guess what happened

5K views 40 replies 24 participants last post by  Fishritewillie 
#1 ·
my damn chain broke going up hill... only owned the bike for a few days... first time riding it too... this is bad...

See less See more
#2 ·
Not surprised, bought mine on Friday and the next day guys in a store put a new chain for free. They said the chain was so so. I was having problems changing gears esp. when applying a lot of pressure.

p.s. I see you didn't change your saddle, I was in agony after using it for a couple of hours:yikes:

#3 ·
I've actually seen that happen with a few new bikes of different brands. Stock chains have a habit of sucking.

However, I would cite your obvious superhuman strength as the culprit. Poor HG-73, it didn't have a prayer...

#4 ·
Yeah the chain on my 6000 broke after the first trip on the trail. My Sram has been holding up great, and the powerlink is awesome to have.

Edit: I dunno if its just me being hard on hardware, but I broke the screw that holds the seat in place in half on friday...was a fun ride back with no seat :lol:

#10 ·
You can order a set of 3 new pins for $4 or so. I did so and ordered two SRAM chains at the same time for $12 a piece.

My chain HG50 hasn't yet broken despite my abuse. I've been easing up when shifting though. I got jammed it between the lowest chainring and the chainstay twice and got it jammed in the front deraileur once but it's still intact. Maybe you were just hard on the chain?

Also, I have a new Trek 4300 and the seat's not too bad. Sure it was terrible at first, but I tilted it forward a bit and ride with padded shorts. But now my hands are bearing too much weight and I end up with achey wrists. Eh, I guess one either compromises or buys a new seat.

#11 ·
Was wondering when this would show up on the boards. Trek has been doing a pretty piss poor job of pressing in the fixing link in the shimano chains, they're either pressing them in too far, or actually dimpling the chain plates.

Dealers should have gotten a notice to check this and repair it on Treks dime if it was too messed up. That's been most of our issue with chains breaking on Treks any way.

Hope this sheds a little light on things.

happy trails...

squish

#16 ·
squish said:
Was wondering when this would show up on the boards. Trek has been doing a pretty piss poor job of pressing in the fixing link in the shimano chains, they're either pressing them in too far, or actually dimpling the chain plates.

Dealers should have gotten a notice to check this and repair it on Treks dime if it was too messed up. That's been most of our issue with chains breaking on Treks any way.

Hope this sheds a little light on things.

happy trails...

squish
Have the dealers really been notified? Or should they HAVE been notified...
I'm nervous about my chain...

#18 ·
I'm pretty sure the place I got mine (the last one to have it in Indiana) would just say "uhhh ya, we took care of that" and not have any idea what I was talking about. I'm thinking about just replacing it now and not have it break and me come down on my cross bar. OUCH!

#19 ·
KMC Representative said:
Did you change gear during up hill riding? Usually when change gear during up hill would cause tremendous force on the chain itself and cause the chain to break.
I agree. While it isn't what you want to hear, broken chains are usually due to user error. Either the user who installed it, or the user who's shifting it under load while riding up hill. One technique that you should learn is to slightly "clutch" the shift by barely letting up on the pedal pressure while you shift and until the chain finds the new gear. You can't shift a manual transmission car under power either.

#20 ·
Cause:
PatrickK said:
I was having problems changing gears esp. when applying a lot of pressure.
Solution:
Nater said:
One technique that you should learn is to slightly "clutch" the shift by barely letting up on the pedal pressure while you shift and until the chain finds the new gear. You can't shift a manual transmission car under power either.
Shifting under pressure (like climbing) puts alot of side pressure on the chain. Try to let up a bit on the power and listen to your bike to see if you're shifting smoothly.

Forgot to add: Shift before you have to. Try to get in gear at the base fo the climb if possible.

#21 ·
Under normal usage, chains do hold up, provided they have been installed correctly. As mentioned by several posters, the likely reason why the chain failed on you is because of improper shifting technique.

I own a Trek 4900, and a Fuel... both had the stock chains in them which served me pretty well. I eventually did replace them due to chain elongation, but had no complaints whatsoever when they were fine. The chains lasted me over a year.

Also, make sure that you are cleaning/lubing your chain regularly.

#24 ·
It doesn't seem to be a running problem. I have close to 150 miles on mine and no problems with the chain (knock on wood). The only thing are my derailures going crazy. It only happens when I am standing up or petaling hard. It could be the chain letting me know it's about go time. I'm taking it in to the LBS that I got it from on Thursday so they can go through it (2 month free tune up). I'll let you know what they find.

#25 ·
That just means your derailleur needs a slight adjustment -- the lbs should take care of it no problem, this is normal and probably has nothing to do with your chain. If you are interested in tinkering with it yourself check out: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64

Your H and L limits screws are probably fine so long as your aren't shifting the chain off of the cogs. Check out the indexing-- this can be adjusted w/o tools from the barrel adjuster.

#26 ·
Modena said:
Yeah the chain on my 6000 broke after the first trip on the trail. My Sram has been holding up great, and the powerlink is awesome to have.

Edit: I dunno if its just me being hard on hardware, but I broke the screw that holds the seat in place in half on friday...was a fun ride back with no seat :lol:
i broke my seat off, and tried to ride back. Half way i forgot and went to sit down. Thats a different kind of pain.:madman:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.