mtbr member
    May 2009

Rock Guardz '12 Fuel EX-8 Frame Guard

I ordered one of these after seeing it on a few bikes in the pics section and after getting some
    scratches on my bike.
    The fit is not very good, at least for me. I did contact rock guardz and they would check it out
    and give me a refund or a new one if it seemed odd. I am planning on testing it out and will go from there.
    When I first put it on, then took it off, I noticed the frame was now scratched from installing/removing
    the guard. The finish on the inside is rough and the edges are not very smooth and quite sharp.
    I tried adding gorilla tape to the edges and put one strip down the middle. The tape keeps it
    from scratching the frame but doesn't help with the fit. When I get home today I think I will try regular electrical tape since the gorilla tape is pretty thick.
    Here are the pics I have so far (some are a bit blurry):

This one is looking through the chainring

12 Trek Fuel EX8
    09 Gary Fisher Piranha

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Have you tried some sand paper or a file to clean up the edges?

What about the $20 ebay guard? The clear or black one
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    May 2009
    this guard only fits 2012 models.

i think the tape is the way to go, unless i sand it and then clear coat it and sand it more, i dont think its
    worth the trouble
    the other thing i thought about was buying the clear sticker type frame protector and putting this over that.
    12 Trek Fuel EX8
    09 Gary Fisher Piranha

mtbr member
    I can understand the fit issue. I make the Gorilla Guardz (ebay $25.00 black or clear) for 2011 and earlier Fuel EX. I purposely made them with an air gap for easy cleaning without removal and for more protection. The issue with fit is the frame tolerances. One Guard fits all sizes. As you change top tube lengths, stand over heights, etc the tube curvatures change a little. So, I suspect the Guard was made for the most popular size and is a one-size-fits all. Not to mention the tolerance from one frame to another can make a difference. I could be wrong but this is my experience when making my version. They aren't built to NASA specs so there will be some variation between batches of tubing and frame builds. I do the best I can and so far haven't had any complaints. I am sure the carbon rock guard maker has similar feelings as myself and makes a good product.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hey all
    Been talking with Antikid on the Trek Fuel EX post and thought I would pop these on here.

I have no issues with my RockGuardz Guard. To be honest I wasn't expecting real Carbon Fibre for under 40. I was expecting iPhone case grade fake-ness. But no, its REAL Carbon Fibre.

I see Antikids points about the fit, however I purchased this to guard against chips and dents in the frame, the scratches left from installing and removing the guard are only superficial. After all my Fuel EX was purchased to tear up the hills and trails not site on the mantel piece and look stunning.

As shown in the pics, there is a slight gap at the front of the guard (big enough to force a penny into it) but this is a minor thing, its easy enough to remove the guard and clean under it.

The only thing that I have been thinking of is glueing a rubber sheet to the back of it or adding some kind of rubber gaskit around the edge of it (maybe if seen by RockGuardz, this could be an upgrade in the future)

Other than that (sorry for the rant) I would recommend this to all riders of all bikes (yes they are made for stacks of different models) they certainly guard the frame from rocks, you can hear on fast descents the stones and rocks flying and tapping against the guard.

If anyone wants more pics or has questions about my guard shout!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rock Guardz '12 Fuel EX-8 Frame Guard-img_1913b.jpg  

Rock Guardz '12 Fuel EX-8 Frame Guard-img_1920.jpg  

Rock Guardz '12 Fuel EX-8 Frame Guard-img_1914.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I used to do alot of ATV sport/trail riding (suzuki LTR 450). I had an underside skid plate and we would use dense foam sandwiched between the guard and the bottom of the engine to keep excess mud and debris out. Maybe a softer foam would keep things out.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i like the guard, and as eddit84 said, it is real carbon fiber and quite nice.
    rode with it tonight and completely forgot about it, which is a good thing.

i am going to keep it as is and just wanted to post a review since i couldn't find any.

the scratches from installing and removing it suck, i think a piece of tape along the edges works great and wish
    i would have thought enough to do that before ever putting it on (just warning/trying to help others)
    now i think it is fine and i can remove it every time i clean my bike without fear of scratching it each time.

i was not trying to bash the company or people who made it. just stating my experiences.
    12 Trek Fuel EX8
    09 Gary Fisher Piranha

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I just got my RockGuardz off ebay in the mail today. took 11 days to get to colorado from the UK shipper. This thing clipped right onto my 2010 reign frame and looks great. I have a large frame and the mold appears to be perfect for my size. I feel if I had a medium or small, i may have the issue Antikid had. They likely build one mold for the most popular size.

Looks great. Not sure I'll ever be taking it on and off. I won't see the "scratches" left from the guard unless I take it off. Why take it off? I put it on there to protect a good dent I just got near the bottom bracket. I am interested to see how it holds up after a season of rough riding and bashing. I expect it will work as intended.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    mine is holding up great! i think i have used it a few times also...

have yet to take it off, even after cleaning the bike.
    12 Trek Fuel EX8
    09 Gary Fisher Piranha