mtbr member

Replacing Fox DRCV 150mm fork with 36 TALAS 160 FIT RC2

I have a 2012 Trek Remedy 9.8 I have had multiple warranty issues with both the rear shock and the front fork starting from the first weekend I got the bike. It seems that after 3 tries Fox has finally fixed the issues with the rear shock but I have had to send back the front for the 4th time. Twice to have the crown/station/steer unit replaced and now for the second time the lockout has stopped working.

I have about 1,100 miles on the bike and ride a mix of cross country and all mountain with some terrain park stuff thrown in. I moved up from a 4Ē travel Stumpjumper because they built a sweet MTB park at the end of my cross country trail and I wanted to be able to do it all. The geometry and everything about the bike suits me perfect for my riding style and the trails I ride.

Warranty issues aside the DRCV technology sucks. The rear I can deal with because at least they have fixed the leaking air issue but the front fork and its lack of small bump compliance is the only thing about the bike that I donít like. It looks like after a year of problems Fox is going to let me trade in the shock for something else and I am looking at the 36 TALAS 160 FIT RC2.

If I understand all the terminology through reading the forumsÖ I want a fork that is more progressive than linier. I want the small bump compliance as well as being able to take the big hits. I want the low speed compression so it doesnít dive as much while braking into the corners. I do a lot of climbing so the Talus feature is something I want. But, I understand the RC2 has no lockout. I will miss that on one of rides that has a 3 mile logging road climb but if I get everything else I want then thatís ok. I think this fork will suit my needs but was wondering if there were others that have made a similar upgrade to a Remedy or other similar bike? Iím not really interested in the 34 because I want the adjustment of the RC2 rather than the CTD.

I have read some threads of people that say there are stiction issues with the 36 Talus fork over say, the 36 Float. Is that a characteristic of the Talus feature or the fork in general?

The thing that I am most looking to get out of this upgrade from the DRCV is better small bump compliance and Iím sure Iíll benefit from the added stiffness of the 36 stanchions and the 20mm through axel as well.

Thanks in advance for any input or advice.

mtbr member
    I have a 2013 Fox 36 160mm Talas stepped down to 150mm and I had the Float cartridge installed in place of the talas and it is super smooth (seriously it makes this fox fork feel like a Zoke or Dorado).....It is being installed on my 13 remedy 9.9 today......Compression adjustment dialed correctly with the RC2 is great for climbing for me and the absolute way to go on the Downs!!! the CTD forks are crap if you know how to set Compression and rebound for your riding style and terrain, which is easier to do than it looks to first timers......I was running this on my Carbine 650b, and can't wait to run it on my Remedy 9.9 this weekend!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedHito View Post
    I have a 2013 Fox 36 160mm Talas stepped down to 150mm and I had the Float cartridge installed in place of the talas and it is super smooth (seriously it makes this fox fork feel like a Zoke or Dorado).....It is being installed on my 13 remedy 9.9 today......Compression adjustment dialed correctly with the RC2 is great for climbing for me and the absolute way to go on the Downs!!! the CTD forks are crap if you know how to set Compression and rebound for your riding style and terrain, which is easier to do than it looks to first timers......I was running this on my Carbine 650b, and can't wait to run it on my Remedy 9.9 this weekend!!!
    Thanks for the reply let me know how it works out this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I didn't see that you already had the 36 so I'd suggest looking at the 34 first. I put the Float 34 adjusted to 150mm on mine and am very happy with it. It's a bit more progressive than my Lyric but slightly more linear than the 36 (mine was too progressive as I couldn't get the last 20mm of travel). The 34 has a lower axle to crown than the 36 so it doesn't change your geometry as much as going to the 36 does. It is vastly more stiff than the 32 and only slightly less than the 36.

Either way, you'll be pleased to get rid of the 32, way to flexible and the only weak point in the 9.8 imo.

mtbr member
    So, after one year almost to the day FOX finally pulled throughÖ kinda. They replaced my POS DRCV 150mm fork with a brand new 36 Float 160 RC2.

I went for a muddy cold ride yesterday and even though the HS/LS compression adjustments werenít working the fork is sooo much better than the other one. Plush, stiff, tracks great, itís what they should put on the bike in the begging.

LBS said the non functioning compression adjustment issues are something to do with the Fit cartridge and that they would take care of it next week so thatís how FOX ďkindaĒ pulled through

Mark

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Interesting, Did they reduce the travel on the Float 36 160mm to get the AC closer to a Fox 32 150mm? If not, what did your LBS say about Trek warranty on your Remedy with AC longer than a stock fork?

mtbr member
    @fcaw11, given all the problems I have had with the bike (at one point even thinking about getting my money back) the rep at Trek told my LBS that if they put a 160mm fork on it would not void the frame warranty. Trek was going to give me the fork off of a Slash after the lockout failed the first time but didnít have one in stock. After twice replacing crown/station/steer unit and the lock out failing the second time FOX finally realized that the fork was a lemon and gave me the Float 36.

I went for another ride yesterday played around with the air pressure a bit and even thought the HS/LS compression adjustment doesnít work it still has much less brake dive in the corners than the old DRCV did. Plus, the added stiffness is awesome.

Hopefully whatever that is wrong with the compression adjustment isnít mechanical and the LBS will be able to fix it without sending it back to FOX.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fcaw11 View Post
    Interesting, Did they reduce the travel on the Float 36 160mm to get the AC closer to a Fox 32 150mm? If not, what did your LBS say about Trek warranty on your Remedy with AC longer than a stock fork?
    This was a big reason why I went with the 34 as the AC is closer to the 32. I found a new 34 that had never been installed from a Stumpjumper EVO and am pleasantly surprised by how stiff it is and how well it takes bigger hits. Small chatter isn't as good as the Lyric I was on on my Nomad but that's not surprising as that was the best air fork I've ever ridden. Way underrated IMO.

Glad OP got Trek to ok the 36, it's a huge improvement over the 32 for anyone over 165lbs. It's a bit taller in the front end, any problems on steeper climbs?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    Glad OP got Trek to ok the 36, it's a huge improvement over the 32 for anyone over 165lbs. It's a bit taller in the front end, any problems on steeper climbs?
    Being 150 lbs, I'd argue that the 32 isn't enough for about anyone that i riding a 6" travel bike. I seem to hear both sides about a fork such as the Lyick or 36 voiding the frame warranty, hopefully it wouldn't. It's just what the Remedy needs. That and 12x142 rear spacing on all trim levels, IMO.

It's mentioned above, but the 36 can be reduced to 150mm. I'm thinking that the longer fork + the mino links in the low and slack setting would be one heck of a ride, though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboardorblade View Post
    Being 150 lbs, I'd argue that the 32 isn't enough for about anyone that i riding a 6" travel bike. I seem to hear both sides about a fork such as the Lyick or 36 voiding the frame warranty, hopefully it wouldn't. It's just what the Remedy needs. That and 12x142 rear spacing on all trim levels, IMO.

It's mentioned above, but the 36 can be reduced to 150mm. I'm thinking that the longer fork + the mino links in the low and slack setting would be one heck of a ride, though.
    Yes on the 142 at all levels, it's just a matter of time I think.

I really don't understand the spec'ing of the 32 for 2013. Sure, when the choice was 32 or 36 it's a big deal but now that 34 is an option I'm very surprised they aren't standard. I suppose they haven't had time to re-work it for DCRV.