mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Replacing crankset on Trek 4500

what's up all? I'm trying to replace my crankset on my Trek 4500 since it bent out of place (actually came off during a ride!). Just want to get it back into working order. I've removed the crankset, but the Shimano FC-MC08, 22/32/42 teeth, is a pretty old crankset so they don't sell them anymore. I need a replacement.

All I know about the original crankset is that it's 170mm and that it is a 110-113 mm spindle length.

http://www.shimano.com/publish/conte...on%20Chart.pdf

Will this one fit?

Shimano Alivio Square Taper & Rings MC20 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    any help would be great ya'll

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hi there.

I am just in the process of replacing the crankset of my 6000. It originally had Shimano Alvio's 175mm 42 32 22 with a 73 x 113 BB.

I am replacing this set with a Deore Crankset. It is a step up and comes complete with the bottom bracket as mine is shot. I am changing the 175mm crank arm for 170mm as personal preference.

My Alivios were set up with a 73 x 113 square taper bottom bracket. So it sounds like your set up will work fine if you have a square tapered bottom bracket.

Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I bought the Trek 8.3 DS back in March 2012. Long story short I had the remote lockout fork that is on the Trek 8.5 DS put on my 8.3 DS. I noticed that when I ride the bike with the remote fork on lockout for a long duration the fork slowly compresses as I'm riding so when I stop and unlock the fork it "springs" back up. Also, the remote fork does not totally 100% lock out as there is about 1/4" "give" to it (when I press down it bounces). Are the two things I mentioned normal for the remote lockout fork, or is there something wrong with the fork?

The original 8.3 DS mechanical lockout fork (that comes with the 8.3) seems to 100% lockout and has no "give" to it when I press down on it. And it does not seem to compress as I ride it on lockout. So I was thinking of going back to the mechanical lockout fork that comes with the 8.3 DS because I want the fork to be rigid when I ride it on the pavement.

If you can answer my questions and give me any additional information/advice I would appreciate it. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Same problem

Deezy3z,

Any luck with the crankset replacement? Had mine fall off on the trail... need a replacement... did the Shimano Alivio Square Taper & Rings MC20 fit?

Thanks!