mtbr member

Replace Trek EX7 fork with Fox 32 Talas 150 FIT RLC Fork

Hi, I intend to replace my 2011 Trek EX7 fork with Fox 32 Talas 150 FIT RLC fork (Taper steer). The new fork provides easy travel adjustment from 150mm (5.9") down to 120mm (4.7") with the flick of the two position TALAS knob.

What do you think about my plan? How will it affect my ride if I adjust the travel to 150mm? Should I forget about the idea and stick to the existing 120mm fork.

Thanks!

TXTony
    Think it will change the geo of the bike...the bike was designed around the 120mm travel fork..not that it can not be done..people put longer travel forks on bikes all the time..pretty sure it also voids the warranty in the event you have a failure in the head tube area due to added stress of a longer travel fork..I could be wrong...I think the bike may sit a little higher in the front end also effecting the way it handles on climbs unless you set it back down to 120mm...thinking I would just stick with the 120mm travel..

mtbr member
    Thanks TXTony for your comment.

Two main reasons why I want to upgrade my fork:
    1. Taper steerer for better stiffness
    2. Longer travel for future upgrade to all mountain bike

As my current fork is not taper, the new Talas fork provides better stiffness (Taper steer), and enable me to upgrade my frame to all mountain bike (adjust to longer travel) in future. I was just wondering how many people have actually damaged the EX tube by using longer travel fork. If the risk of breaking the tube is high, will adjusting to 120mm all the time help to eliminate the risk?

TXTony
    Not sure about breakage..honestly I have never heard of one breaking but I do not recall seeing a 150mm travel Fork on a EX...I have a 2011 Ex8...I kinda of want a long travel all mountain bike...probably will buy another bike...most of bikes these days are designed around the suspension that comes with that particular model..the frame..the shock..and fork..when you start making huge changes to the suspension then the the bike is going to change..my EX8 is so dialed in I can not imagine changing anything on the suspension..even if you put it on there and keep it locked down at 120mm all the time(which I have heard is not a good thing to do..not sure about that)...it is still a 150mm travel fork...I know I wanted to do the same thing with my Enduro and when I contacted Specialized they advised me against it...even though if read the threads about the Enduro people have put longer travel forks on that thing with no issues...but it already has a slacker angle to it anyway and is more designed for All Mountain use...the Ex line kinda has that XC geo to it which really makes it shine in my opinion...I am no suspension guru but something just tells me that 150mm may be a bit much for the EX..and I also suspect it may have some type of effect on how the rear shock responds on settings above 120mm up front,