Thread: Remedy vs. Fuel

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Remedy vs. Fuel

Hey guys
    Looking at upgrading to either a trek fuel or remedy, but as I live in Australia the remedy is a custom order, and thus need some advice as to whether I should go it over the fuel.
    I do mostly trail riding (5ft drops), but I do some urban stuff too, and like to be able to hit a set of stairs or a drop. I know this is a stupid question, but as I can't try it out yet I would love some opinions from people who have tried both- do i need the extra beef? or will a fuel cover me and be better on the trails
    Love ya work guys...

mtbr member
    Australia--- looks like ya'll have no real mountains... why the Remedy?

Just Kidding..... but from your description, you sound like you're gonna be more aggressive than not. My vote would be for the Remedy.
    Bikeless Rider

mtbr member
    is the fuel ex even made for 5ft drops?

Bubbles
    Alot depends on your body weight. If your 170 lbs (for example) then you can get away with more on the ex. I weigh 195lbs and I like to ride fairly aggressive trails. I just bought a remedy 8, (based on my bike shop recomendations), so Ill certainly post some reviews in the next few weeks.

mtbr member
    I ride aggressively on my Fuel ex 9 but then again got it over the Remedy because i was planning on getting a bigger bike later....I also only weigh 160. Remedy sounds like the right bike for you but do know that the Fuel Ex is a capable bike. I still think it was meant to be a trail bike and the Remedy is clearly the AM/light FR bike in their lineup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Schultz
    Alot depends on your body weight. If your 170 lbs (for example) then you can get away with more on the ex. I weigh 195lbs and I like to ride fairly aggressive trails. I just bought a remedy 8, (based on my bike shop recomendations), so Ill certainly post some reviews in the next few weeks.

Did you but the 2009?

Bubbles
    Quote Originally Posted by V.P.
    Did you but the 2009?

No I bought an 08. It is a tough call to buy either the remedy or the fuel ex. The fuel ex is 4 lbs lighter, which is quite alot, and Im not sure I would ever ride outside of the bounds of what the ex is designed for.. Ive seen alot of ex 9's at the bike park. Either way you cant go wrong!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Schultz
    No I bought an 08. It is a tough call to buy either the remedy or the fuel ex. The fuel ex is 4 lbs lighter, which is quite alot, and Im not sure I would ever ride outside of the bounds of what the ex is designed for.. Ive seen alot of ex 9's at the bike park. Either way you cant go wrong!!

I would go for the remedy as well.

Btw, can you post some pics?

Bubbles
    [attach]trek remedy 002.jpg[/attach]

This is my Remedy, I like the colour.. I was either getting this bike or an EX8 , I hope I made the right decision
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by V.P.
    is the fuel ex even made for 5ft drops?
    i went out with our trek rep with a few other blokes, this question came up seeing as we have no remedy in australia, so we decided to test it ourselves and hopefully not have to take advantage of the warranty.......we got it up to a 14ft drop and left it at that before we completely totaled it but heck it took it rather nicely i thought

although if you arent sponsored/ riding your own bike i wouldnt recommend this

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by liam2051
    i went out with our trek rep with a few other blokes, this question came up seeing as we have no remedy in australia, so we decided to test it ourselves and hopefully not have to take advantage of the warranty.......we got it up to a 14ft drop and left it at that before we completely totaled it but heck it took it rather nicely i thought

although if you arent sponsored/ riding your own bike i wouldnt recommend this

14 feet? dude thats crazy!

mtbr member
    we thought so too! although like i say it didnt break, i wouldnt do it to my own EX9 but heck atleast i know it can take it lol

Members who have read this thread: 0