mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Remedy Chain Noise

I have quite a lot of chain noise with my Remedy 8. Specifically, the chain is slapping the bottom crossbar of the front derailleur quite a bit on fast rocky sections. I'm running 2 rings with a shortened chain.

Does anyone else have a lot of chain noise, or are you running a chain guide (if so what kind?), or is my bike in need of some adjustments?

Thanks,
    -Mike

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have a remedy 8 also and experience the same thing. It is the long cage derailer we have. I am going to change it to a mid-cage once I break it. My other bike has a mid-cage shadow and it doesn't bounce around nearly as much as the long cage does.

N/A
    Feb 2004
    I had a lot of chain slap (and some chain drops - one of which was really nasty to get un-stuck). I installed a Blackspire Stinger and have had no problems since. I also plan to replace the rear derailler with a mid-cage once the stock one breaks.

Urban Ninja
    Yes. I have lots of chain noise on mine. I however, have not dropped my chain. I attribute the noise in part to the frame. It seems to resonate sounds. Anytime I kick up a little rock and it hits the frame it makes a loud sound. Just tapping on the frame sounds loud.

Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
    The mid cage derailleur does nothing to solve this problem. Nor using the middle ring, big cog combo. I have a mid cage XO with 2 rings and bash and the chain was eating my frame's paint alive. I even have some bare aluminum spots. It's just cosmetics but to prevent more damage I've put an old tube around the chainstay in that area. I still have the noise, but I just ignore it.

Edit: no chain drops, but sometimes when I resume pedaling the chain is not correctly seated in the cogs and there is a noise of it getting to its normal position.

mtnbkaz, can you post a picture of your setup with the stinger? I though about getting one, but then the chain will be even closer to the chainstay.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    When you go from a long cage to a mid cage I take links out of my chain, this shortens the chain and reduces slack, hence chain slap. I also take the big ring off up front and run a bash guard, this allows me to shorten my chain even more, I take out more links. Try it or don't try it, it works for me.

As I said, it doesn't solve the problem. It might help, but not solve. I've never used it with the 3 rings and long cage derailleur.

Thanks for assuming I was a noob and didn't know how to size a chain

Joking aside, the chain is correctly sized, the spring of the XO is really strong, but despite that I have lots of chain slap, even in the mid ring (now big to me) and large cogs. The only solution may be using a chain guide. I though it wouldn't do much, as it will put the chain closer to crime scene, but mtnbkaz says it solves it. I still would like to see some pictures of his setup.

N/A
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by amrgb
    The mid cage derailleur does nothing to solve this problem.
    I disagree with that statement. The more chain tension you have, the less chain slap you have. Shorter derailler arms and shorter chains make more chain tension. Doesn't eliminate the problem, but it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by amrgb
    mtnbkaz, can you post a picture of your setup with the stinger? I though about getting one, but then the chain will be even closer to the chainstay.
    Don't have a pic at work. Will try to remember to take one tonight. Although if you search the AM or DH forums, you'll see a lot of pics of other bikes posted already. Same concept as the Remedy.

But your comment about the chain being closer to the chainstay is backwards. The chain doesn't hit the stay because it's close, it hits the stay because when you hit a bump/jump/whatever the force of the impact causes the chain to slacken. The greater the impact, the more the chain drops down. Then when the derailler picks up the slack, the chain snaps taught and the momentum keeps the chain moving up and it slaps the chainstay. If you have a chain tensioner holding the chain up by the stay, it never loses tension to begin with so it never snaps back, hitting the stay.

The short-arm derailler helps here because the chain can't move as far before the derailler spring picks up the slack. Long-arm deraillers allow the chain to move a lot more.

It's a question of semantics then. It doesn't solve, but it helps. Should have written that from the beginning. This was a response to a few comments on changing the long to a mid cage. I just wanted to tell you that I had one and I still had lots of chain slap.

Good explanation of the chain slap and why the tensioner works. I'm getting a stinger.

N/A
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkaz
    Don't have a pic at work. Will try to remember to take one tonight.
    Here you go. (If the image attaches correctly.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0