mtbr member
    Dec 2007

We the people ... Remedy 9.8, soon my next bike

So, after much research and soul searching (as I'm still in love with my '09 Intense Tracer); I've decided to purchase the Remedy 9.8. In '08 owned a Fuel EX 8, and I loved the ride of Trek bikes.

Sadly, I can't test ride this bike, and no LBS in my area has them for demo. So, I'd like to ask some of you, how does this bike ride? I did quite a bit of research on how to setup the DRCV suspension, so I think I got that nailed down - at least in theory.

In my local trails (South Florida), I usually do no more than 5' drops, and once or twice a year I travel to NC or TN for some AM action.

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions about this bike. Now to find a dealer that can give me a good deal on it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It rides like a Fuel, but slacker and burlier. Why do you want a new bike if you love your current ride?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I want to try a somewhat carbon frame, and I've always had two bikes. I sold my Enduro early this year and I enjoy riding two different bikes.

However, seems like every LBS in my area can't find the Remedy 9.8; it's out of stock everywhere...according to them. I'm going to have to wait for the '13 models.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm currently on a Remedy 8, only due to financial constraints. Its a great bike, and I'm sure that the 9.8 would blow it away no worries. You can't go wrong with it.

I was todding up between the Fuel Ex 8 and Remedy 8, and ended up going for the Remedy as I'm a touch on the heavier side, around 200lbs, and tend to ride hard. The bike has been great to me so far, and am very thankful that I didn't choose the Fuel Ex. The remedy climbs very well, descends hard and is nice and smooth throughout. My only concern was a large dent I managed to place in the downtube, but it appears to not be of terrible concern, and serves as a nice reminder to watch my lines!

mtbr member
    It rides amazing.

Iv'e owned the '09 fuel 9 and demoed the '12 fuel and remedy 9.8 carbon.

First, the carbon is amazing. Compared to my AL 09 fuel, which I thought was awesome, the carbon on both bikes just blew it out of the water.
    It's snappy, its strong, its light and gives it a very aggressive feel, compared to the more responsive, supple, and relaxed aluminum and steel respectively.

Compared to the fuel it is definitely more capable. The geometry and and suspension is basically like you would imagine. Great downhill and great uphill as long as you stay seated. If you have to get out of the saddle its not too great. Alot of bob.

Compared to other brands: Compared to specialized it has a more laid back geometry in my opinion. Spec seems to be very twitchy, up tight and fidgity. Trek, especially the remedy is very laid back and down right comfortable. Its definitely designed for downhill.
    But if you ride trek you know that.

For what 5' it should be awesome.

But if you have primarily flat/sub 3.5' jumps then I would say go with another fuel or even superfly. Its not worth lugging it around for only an occasional big hit like I was thinking about doing.
    Its definitely a lug if youre not consistently hitting bigger than 3.5.

The fuel is certainly very good downhill, especially with the 12s. Like I said, I had the 09, and the 12 with drcv is much better. Maybe it wont add 2 feet to your drops, but its more confident downhill.

Final verdict: go for it if you feel like giving up 20-30% of your pedalibility in exchange for a 40% downhill gain. My personal opinion is if you consistently ride more than 3' hits or so, its worth it and dont look back.

Its an insane bike. It's crazy what they can do with bikes now.
    Plus throw a reverb on there. Its very worth it because its alot easier to pedal the bike with the seat jacked alll the way up, but then you want to be able to drop it for the DH.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Looks like Trek has stopped making the 2012 model, seems like no one has them (even the distributors). I have to wait for the 2013 models, which will come out sometime in October, so I was told by a LBS.