Thread: Remedy 8 vs 9

mtbr member

Remedy 8 vs 9

Im looking at 2011 models, because of the price drop and the fork.

The 9 is $900 bucks more.
    So im thinking about getting the 8, upgrading to slightly pre-enjoyed xt shifters, front der. and maybe better brakes, and then Ill essentially have a 9 for alot less than 900 extra.

What are your guys thoughts? Am I really missing anything?

mtbr member
    The Remedy 8 is a great bike.

9 has better wheelset (DT Swiss 1800m vs Bontrager Duster) better suspension (rp23 Fox Talas RLC Fit vs rp2 Fox talas RL). You also get the 142x12 Maxle thru-axle and Full XT on the 9. Better brakes as well (Elixir CR vs Elixir 5)

I think the wheels are the biggest upgrade (hand built, lighter and stronger, DT Swiss hubs and rims vs bontrager/lower-end shimano hubs and bontrager rims) and the low speed compression on the Talas RLC does make the front suspension more tune-able. Don't know if the Remedy 8 fork has a Fit cartridge or if it is an open-bath system. I prefer XT but SLX is pretty good stuff. The rear suspension is pretty much equal, just more pro-pedal options with the rp23.
    2014 Tallboy 2

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by mlx john View Post

9 has better wheelset (DT Swiss 1800m vs Bontrager Duster) better suspension (rp23 Fox Talas RLC Fit vs rp2 Fox talas RL). You also get the 142x12 Maxle thru-axle and Full XT on the 9. Better brakes as well (Elixir CR vs Elixir 5)

These upgrades are WELL worth $900 for the 9, unless you have your own wheels and don't care much for more tune ability in your suspension. CR vs 5 is more like a "crap shoot" in regards to Avid products. The 12mm axle and 142 hub make a HUGE difference in stiffness of the Remedy.

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    darn. more to think about.

Im still learning about all these different technologies and i figured. ehh. nbd.

I guess Ill just buy a better one used

mtbr member
    If your choice is between geting the 8 new and the 9 used, than I'd get the 8. the Warranty on Trek bikes aren't transferable and you don't know how hard the used bike was run. That being said, if you can manage to swing the 9 new then definitely get it. You should buy as much bike as you can afford up front.

mtbr member
    K one more question, atleast for now.
    I like my forks very plush and dont care about loss of efficiency.
    I also weigh 140
    is the rl going to come plush for slow speed compression, or does it come firmer, with the compression there to make it softer. I know little about forks, i just know i want super plush.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You can probably be fine without the RLC, you would just tune your fork to be plush with the overall compression setting to be what you want for small bump compliance. The detriment would be that your large hit compliance would suffer.

Having the RLC allows for you to change the factory setting for small and large bump compliance. So if you're willing to sacrifice one for the other, the C probably isn't necessary.

I have a 32RL on my SJ and I like a plush setting and haven't had problems getting the feel I like out of it. But IMO, having the 'C' option is nice if you're okay with spending te $ for it. If you decide you want a RLC later on, PUSH will rebuild forks with the 'C' option for a few hundred $.
    idiom - raleigh hard rock
    http://www.idiomband.com

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input guys! In the end I guess my problems would be solved by waiting till the price drop on the 12s so I have enough to buy a 9 (or at that point I could buy a 9.9, but thats overkill)

Essentially I guess I just wanted it now, but I figure it worth waiting for