mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Remedy 8 or Nomad for XC/Trail?

I'm stuck between these two for a while now. Which would be more suited for aggressive cross country and trail riding? I mainly ride long ups and steep downs but also some easy cross country stuff on occasion and want a longer travel all mountain plush bike. Remedy seems lighter but Nomad appears to climb better from all the reviews I heard. I also wonder which one would be faster on fairly straight paths.

Ive ridden both around a parking lot but still can't decide. Thanks for any advice.

TXTony
    Faster...depends on who is ridding it..XC/Trail depends if you are getting it for XC/Trail I would not get either bike unless you are more into All Mountain Ridding...I am just going by the ridding you described which seems better suited for like a Trek Fuel Ex Model..I have used my Enduro for XC/Trail and it did one thing great..going down..everything else compared to my EX8 it was not even close...I am strictly talking XC/Trail Ridding..though I think the EX8 could handle some pretty techy stuff as well...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm more into all mountain riding then cross country, just wondering which bike would be suited better for those times when I'm doing more of a XC type ride. Or maybe something like a yeti 575 would be better? The trails I ride are in the mountains and the downhills can be fairly rough so that's why I'm leaning towards the 6" travel, just that the ride up can be a long trail ride.

TXTony
    Ok..I understand that then...I have no experience with Yeti or a Nomad but think the Trek would be a great bike...but honestly any of the ones you mentioned would be great bikes...it is really hard to say which would be better suited for the trail stuff as they are geared towards All Mountain...the reason I ended up with a EX8 was I did everything I could to get my Enduro(it is an older one 2006)..trail friendly...replaced parts..slapped carbon on it..wheels..tires..all that did not change the geo of the bike..made it a little lighter but the thing is still a beast on long climbs..after I got the EX8 I reverted it back to what it should be...so I think you will find that even though you can climb with those bikes do not be to disappointed if they do not scream up hills...my friend just bought a long travel bike after selling his EX9...he misses his EX9..but I would spring for the Trek...reviews on it seem to a solid bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I feel your decision depends upon how aggressive your xc riding is. My remedy 8 I would classify as light am(fox 32, lighter hubs than most am bikes, triple ring cranks, etc) whereas the nomad is usually spec'd with the 36 and sees heavier am use. That being said I personally will probably never posh past the limits of my remedy and I'm pretty light (155 geared up) and like the lighter weight of the remedy vs. Nomad and the newer tech of the vpp vs. Single pivot of the nomad.

All that being said, I can't imagine the nomad climbs any better than my remedy. But I suck at climbs anyway

Both are incredible bikes and i think you'll be happy either way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the responses. I prefer the SC brand but cant help but think that the Nomad might be too much bike while the Remedy might be just right but then again I could be wrong.. BTW I think the Nomad is vpp and not single pivot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My bad. Nomad is vpp. I understand your dilemma, when I was buying this winter I narrowed it down to these exact two. I just happened to have found a killer deal on the remedy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Santa Cruz is sexier and more expensive than Trek. Remedy will get you a better climber than Nomad, and better components for the price. Blur might be a better climber than Remedy, but not as much travel and, again, more expensive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I got the 2010 Remedy 8 for XC riding in Wisconsin and for yearly trips to Colorado. I'm very happy with my choice, it pedals great on steep climbs even with Pro Pedal off, jumps like a Motocross bike and it is plush on hard pack, stumps, rocks and street rides. It truely does it all, I'm very happy with it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Congrats!

Pics are now required.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I think both bikes are really close. The availability of the Cane Creek angle sets, give your more options in setting your bike up as well.

The Nomad is set-up to be used with a slightly bigger fork, and there are more options regarding the rear shock if you really want to optimize the bike for certain type of riding.

A small thing to some people but a feature I really like is being able to put a water bottle on the Remedy. I prefer not wearing camelbaks especially if I'm going downhill in a hurry. I don't like having the weight on my back. That's actually the biggest complaint some of my friends have about their Nomads.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I ride my 2011 Remedy 8 with both front and rear suspension locked out. The bike climbs rather well. Just recently i visited a park with agressive down hill single track. I let all the suspension out and had a blast on the downs. The bike is very well suited for my style of riding. A few times a week I do 10-15 mile xc rides and add in some FR features along the way. I've come to appreciate the suspension in the shorter positions, it helps with the mileage.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    There is always the "tweener" like I've got. I like XC trail riding, but have also been trying to do bigger stuff, like hitting some free ride areas and hitting obstacles that I usually rode around.

I've got a Fuel EX 9.9 and put a 100-140mm TALAS on it. The 120mm in the back seems good enough for me descending. Not as plush as the 150mm of the Remedy but I bet it pedals better, and the bike is 26.8lbs. With the 140mm on the front, I'm almost at the 150mm the Remedy has, and the bike handles some crazy (to me) stuff descending. 120mm on the way up and flick the switch at the top or just leave it at 140mm if there aren't any long sustained climbs.

Having said all that, my next bike is going to be a Remedy/Heckler 150mm+ sort of bike, as by then, I'll be ready for more of a downhill ride, as my SF100 handles all the racing/light XC duties.

-Tom

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    For normal XC style trails and flats both would be overkill and makes tame trails fairly boring. But we don't really buy bikes based on the boring parts of our rides, we buy for the fun parts!

Both pedal well for big bikes but are still big bikes so it's all relative. Both suspensions work well though the Remedy needs a bit more platform to eliminate bob. Not that the Nomad needs none, it does benefit from some but it's not nearly so much. Nomad is bomber on the way down but I find the Remedy to be a bit more plush on the small bumps wheras the Nomad is better on the bigger stuff and overall feels stiff and more taught. Build quality of the pivots is better on the Nomad. The Remedy has a bit lower of a front end and a slightly more XC position so that may help on the flats. Given your area, I'd lean toward the Remedy but it's pretty close.

Personally I own a Nomad and a HiFi so I can choose which bike I'll ride for a given trail. If you are looking for the 1 bike to do it all I do think going with a more versatile bike like the Blur LT, Blur Tr or EX would be a good idea. Or even consider a Rumblefish, RIP 9 or something in the 29'er 5 inch category as they do very well on the flats and straights but can take anything a normal trail throws at you.

But if you have a XC bike already, then get something that doesn't overlap too much and have fun!

mtbr member
    I just got an '11 Remedy 9 to replace my '08 EX 8 and I love it! With the propedal on and the fork at 120 I think it climbs as well,if not better than my ex.On the way back down I really feel the differance. Rock gardens i use to have slow down and carefully pick a line i now just blast right through.

My ex was about 31lbs with ks950r post and UST nevagal 2.35's.My r9 is 30lbs with a
    950r post and stock XR3 w/tubes now so with UST tires about 32lbs.The r9's slightly slacker HT angle and 150mm of travel more than make up for a couple of pounds on the climb.If you want to hit the more agro lines cuz your riding has progressed, I say remedy.

This is totally biased of course cuz i'v never ridden the others and do own a trek,just thrown it out there.Whatever you pick enjoy !

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by Keisersoze
    I'm stuck between these two for a while now. Which would be more suited for aggressive cross country and trail riding?
    .... Blur Lt .... With a 6" fork. Carbon if you have the dough.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Photodog & Mattsavage, I did a bit of a 180 on my choice and went with a Blur Lt, 150mm Revelation fork which too me feels more like a 160, aluminum frame.

As much as I prefer the look of the bigger bikes I think they would be a little too much for my riding. The new Blur has the same head angle as the Remedy, same travel in the front, only main difference is 1/2 inch less travel in the back.

Thanks for all the advice. Won't have the frame until about 2 weeks from now from Santa Cruz. It will be a long two weeks...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Remedy size

Any of Remedy owners could help me choose the right frame size?
    I have no chance of testing it in local bike shop since they only have fuels.
    I am 5' 8" (176cm) with rather longer torso.
    I will have to order it over the internet and I don't want to end up with too small or too large bike.

mtbr member
    I too am 5'8'(5'9' when i lie) I had a 17" ex8.When I got my Remendy 9 i got an 18" and i'm glad i did it fits great.I wasn't sure what size to get,LBS said 18 so i figured bigger was better cuz i did feel a little cramped on the 17".I'm in the same boat with a longer torso and only a 30" inseam.If you look on the website there is only like .4 of an inch dif in TT length,and remember Trek's 18.5 is actually a 17.5".Hope that helps.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by colnagooze
    I will have to order it over the internet and I don't want to end up with too small or too large bike.
    The Fuel EX and Remedy fit very similarly... I ride the same size Fuel as I do remedy. TT is about 1cm longer on fuels, seat tubes are same length but about .5 degree slacker on Fuels. Trying a Fuel EX for size is your best bet rather than getting input from these bozo's... (jk...)
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    There's definitely no substitute for actually throwing a leg over one so if you can somehow get the opportunity before you buy, do it.

I'm 6'1 and rode a 18.5 virtual remedy most of last summer and a 19.5 tail end of last year and all this season so far. I have a 32' inseam and to be honest both sizes fit me fine but I give the slight edge to the 19.5. For you i'm guessing the 17.5 but i'm sure the 18.5 would be fine as well.

Anyway good luck with the new rig.

Quote Originally Posted by colnagooze View Post

TXTony
    Remedy