Thread: remedy 6 anyone

mtbr member
    May 2005

remedy 6 anyone

hello all

i have a remedy 6 - about 3 months old

anyone else have this bike - and have you had any signigicant problems with it if you do

i have a constant creak (not the bb) that neither i nor the lbs guys can figure out

i also have a problem with my headset "coming loose" - it is hard to explain - but if you stand beside the bike, apply the front brake, and rock the handlebars front and back, the headset actually moves about 1-2mm and makes a knocking sound

lbs guys have checked it out, and think it may be the starnut - they were able to fix it for one ride by putting in a new starnut, but after about 20miles it started doing the same thing again

i really like the bike overall, but am getting very frustrated with these two issues that just won't go away

for $2400, i was not expecting headaches and time off the trail due to mechanical issues (that are still not fixed)

any similar experiences?

i had less trouble with my 6700 ht
    clunger

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by clunger
    hello all

anyone else have this bike - and have you had any signigicant problems with it if you do

i have a constant creak (not the bb) that neither i nor the lbs guys can figure out

i also have a problem with my headset "coming loose" - it is hard to explain - but if you stand beside the bike, apply the front brake, and rock the handlebars front and back, the headset actually moves about 1-2mm and makes a knocking sound

lbs guys have checked it out, and think it may be the starnut - they were able to fix it for one ride by putting in a new starnut, but after about 20miles it started doing the same thing again

i really like the bike overall, but am getting very frustrated with these two issues that just won't go away

for $2400, i was not expecting headaches and time off the trail due to mechanical issues (that are still not fixed)

any similar experiences?

Maybe the headtube is out of round, causing the headset to shift. OR Try upgrading to a nicer heasdset. The Aheadset that it comes with is not great.

If that doesn't fix it, take it to another Trek dealer and has some fresh eyes/mechanics look at it. Maybe they know something the other shop doesn't.

mtnbikej

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

3 months old, its warranty time...

find another lbs, or call trek customer service and tell them you are getting less than decent service at your lbs. The headset thing is definately not right and you should not have to deal with it. As for the creak, you will have to be more specific as to when, where, how it happens. You might want to search this forum for posts of similar problems with Trek Liquids- a similar bike. I have a 3 year old Liquid that runs silently, but it didn't come that way...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Replace the stock headset. I replace these on a regular basis because of what you are dealing with. The A-Head C4 and Cane creek S-3 are what I use for most replacements in this situation.
    As for the creaking, the shop should be able to figure this out. If you could give more detail as to when ( all the time, pushing down on saddle with minimal weight, only while riding, under heavy pedal load, etc.) is there any detectable movement anywhere on the bike, loose hub, linkage, saddle rails, headset (yes!), bounce the bike lightly, does it rattle anywhere?
    The main pivot could certainly be in need of having the bearing reseatted with 680 loctite or messy assembly at the factory could have gotten too much red loctite on one of the pivot bolts and it ran a bit and is causing a little extra friction between two moving parts.
    There is a reason for the noise and it should be found and eliminated to make a customer happy and also just to understand why it is happening.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    hello all

tighten all the linkage bolts ! same thing happened to mine

for the headset moving, loosen the stem side bolts and then tighten the top bolt and then re-tighten the side bolts.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    hello all

any similar experiences?

The problems are most likely fairly simple to fix. FIRST, check to make sure all the hardware is tight, this should be obvious. SECOND, most people don't realize the main pivot is NOT press fit. The bearing is loctited in with Loctite 680. This is a good and a bad thing. My guess is that in your case, the bearing has broken free from the loctite bond and has started to creak. This is easy to fix. Disassemble the main pivot, remove the bearings (if the bearings come out easily, the bearings were not properly bonded in). Remove old residue from the bearing/frame with a razor blade and wipe the bearing/frame down with acetone to remove oil and other residue. This will ensure a good bond. Put a film of Loctite 680 on the bearing and frame and then reinstall the swing arm and secure all hardware. You will have about 15-20mins before the loctite begins to set up. This is the hard part MAKE SURE YOU LET THE LOCTITE CURE FOR 24 HOURS!!!. You should be all set then.

As with the headset, the star nut may actually be pulling out of the steerer tube. This would allow the headset to loosen OR the headset top cap may be contacting the top of the steerer which would not allow the headset to be tightened properly. Add a small HS spacer to either the top or the bottom of the stem.

I know Trek stuff very well, if you have any other questions let me know.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    thanks for all the help guys

the headset issue has been fixed - lbs installed new headset (cane creek - an upgrade) under warrenty/at no charge and the problem is solved

as for the creak - i am working on that myself

pktrekguy -
    when you speak of the "main pivot" - what exactly are you talking about
    i take it you don't mean the rocker link pivot points (i am currently cleaning out each of those points and re-installing the rocker links)
    i assume you mean the big burly pivot immediatley behind the bb
    i have been reluctant to take that beast apart, as i have little experience working on fs frames - but if you tell me it doesn't require a rocket scientist to get into it i will give it a try

i know enough to put together a bike from scratch (rebuilt my old 6700) and i have a garage full of park tools - but my knowledge is still nowhere near that of a real wrench
    clunger

mtbr member
    May 2005

the headset issue has been fixed - lbs installed new headset (cane creek - an upgrade) under warrenty/at no charge and the problem is solved

pktrekguy -
    i take it you don't mean the rocker link pivot points (i am currently cleaning out each of those points and re-installing the rocker links)
    i have been reluctant to take that beast apart, as i have little experience working on fs frames - but if you tell me it doesn't require a rocket scientist to get into it i will give it a try

i know enough to put together a bike from scratch (rebuilt my old 6700) and i have a garage full of park tools - but my knowledge is still nowhere near that of a real wrench

When I refer to the main pivot, I mean the large pivot on the seat tube right by the BB. It is simple and fairly straight forward. I have a copy of the diagram. Let me know if you would like it and I will PM it to you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

pktrekguy -

i'm telling u just tighten all the bolts on the frame and rocker link.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    bought a torq wrench and tightened all the bolts on the rocker link, the main pivot, and the shock bolts - this did not fix the problem

i used the torq settings specified on the trek website
    clunger

mtbr member
    May 2005
    ok - problem is finally fixed

thought i would post the answer to complete the post

on the rocker link behind the seatpost is a hollow aluminum tube that is bolted to each of the rocker links - it is there, apparnetly, to add stiffness to the suspension

although trek tells you you do not need to lubricate the suspension parts, it turns out that this bar was the thing making the noise

mech at the lbs loosened both bolts holding the tube in place, greased both ends and the recesses the tube rests in, then replaced the tube

creak is gone

how sweet it is to ride in peace - no more joggers commenting on how they heard me coming "a long way off" - ha

now if the punks at my lbs could just fix my bike so that it could ride for 25 miles without slowing down, i would really be impressed
    clunger