mtb n00b

Remedy 29 or 650b?

I'm looking for someone who has actually ridden both bikes. I'm really at a loss when it comes to deciding. I've ridden a Fuel 29 and it was great but seemed like it could feel a little large in tighter sections and the Remedy 29 is bigger so it seems like it may be a handful. There are no demo days in my area and they typically have XC bikes when they do have a demo.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated but I'd prefer first hand experience with both bikes. Even a Fuel 29 vs Remedy 29 would help.

Thanks in advance,
    Frankie

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've been mulling over this exact thing recently.

The 650b Remedy seems to me like "not enough" of an upgrade. It's barely longer/bigger/burlier than the 26" bike. And a little less travel.

On the other hand, I was in LOVE with the 29er Remedy that I rented for a week in Moab. The only problem was, that it was really heavy.

JHK races the 650b Remedy in the NA Enduro series, and he says it's because it's lighter and more manueverable. The TWR guys race the 29er Remedy in the EWS because it's burlier. Tracy won the EWS on it and the guys have had great placements.

My final decision is that I'm personally waiting for the carbon Remedy 29er. I'm not willing to deal with a 32lb bike (Remedy 9 Al), but for me, the 650b isn't enough better to justify upgrading my 26" 9.9. If you are going from 0 to a Remedy vs upgrading, it's a harder choice.

Do you want a lighter, more flickable bike? Do you like to move the bike a lot? 650b version.

Do you want a heavier, less flickable steamroller? The 29er goes up and down like it's going out of style. It's so awesome on that. But it won't be super maneuverable through trees, etc.

Lastly, I'm trying out an Intense Carbine 29er. Looking at the geometry numbers, it's VERY VERY close to a 29er Remedy. It's a touch shorter, and a touch slacker, with less "reach" because of that. And it uses the G2 offset as well. And it has VPP. But it doesn't have ABP or the full floater DRCV which makes the Remedy feel super plush.

And just because, here is a pic of steamrolling that Remedy through Moab

-Tom

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Subscribing. I'm looking to buy a Remedy as my next bike and pondering the same question. I absolutely love my Fuel EX, but looking for something a step up, and the 29er wheels are something that I'm trashing lately. This passed year I'm on my third set of wheels, compared to my Fuel EX only just riding out its first pair of shoes about a week ago.
    It's made me lean more toward the 650b, as it is essentially the 26" Remedy with the the noodly Fox 32 front end complaint fixed up. But with that 140mm of travel it seems to fill the position I'm after, a longer legged Fuel EX. Keeping tuned though, because the 29ers do feel REALLY good and fit well both in my riding style and geometry.

mtb n00b
    Thanks for the responses so far. I'm currently on a 26er Specialized hardtail. I'm thinking I'd rather have the smaller wheel and wonder if the 29 would be better instead of having the 29 and it being too big

mtbr member
    I have ridden the Remedy 29er and I have ridden the slash 650b. I can tell that the 650b bike is more flickable but I like the confidence of 29er wheels. I am not the best at picking my lines and so the 29er is very forgiving. I would say if you like very snappy handling go 650b. It definitely rolls a fair amount better than the 26.

Either way I think you will enjoy the bikes. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Ride em. Depending on where you live alot of LBS or Even Trek stores provide demo days at trailheads. Might be tough if you are up north but down here in SoCal they have it every month.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    My story, maybe somewhat relevant to you:

Last year I had a superfly 100 and a remedy 26er, both carbon. I enjoy racing my SF100 enough that when the Remedy 29 was announced, my 26 remedy went on ebay. I bought a Remedy 29 in June and haven't looked back-- 10 days of lift access riding, 6 days of enduro racing, and a bunch of XC riding on my local trails.

Yes, I sold my 26 lbs carbon remedy 9.9 26er to get a 31lbs alum remedy 29er. and I'd do it all over again.

The Remedy 29 invites more "man-handling" of it than the 26, but it is way more confidence inspiring, for me. If your priority is lippy jumps and tail whips, stick with smaller wheels. If you have a BMX background and like bikes that feel small and nimble, maybe smaller wheels are for you.

If you want ridiculous confidence down steep, rough, chunky terrain, Remedy 29.
    If you want a bike with a big margin for error, that invites risk taking and will bail you out if you make handling/body english error-- Remedy 29.

Tight-ish techy climbing in Moab and Fruita was no big deal on the 29. XC-ish rides with guys on hardtails on tight turning terrain, no big deal.

I really like my Remedy 29. I'm tall with high center of gravity, so short people with low centers of gravity may disagree.

mtb n00b
    I was comparing geometry of the Fuel 26, Fuel 29, Remedy 650b, and Remedy 29. Both Fuel models and the 650b Remedy have a 13.31" BB height while the Remedy 29 has the same BB height as a Slash. The 650B Remedy has a slacker seat tube and comparable HTA to the Fuel 26/29. Does that mean it won't climb as well? I know seat tube angle is important on a hardtail but is it as important on a FS? I like to climb so I want something that will get that done without a headache. As of this morning I was set on the Remedy 650B but now I'm reconsidering it. Also, to make things worse, my roomie pointed out that the Fuel EX8 26 could be a decent deal too. 130mm travel, 12x142, and all the good components of the Remedy 8 for the same cost as a Remedy 7. 68 degree HTA and 73 degree seat tube sound like a decent trail layout and its $600 cheaper than the Remedy 8. So many decisions....

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The Remedy 29 is more nimble than the Fuel EX 29 - the shorter Chain stays do make a difference. I rode all three of the bikes mentioned - the Fuel and both Remedy's at a Demo. I am in the same boat as you - Remedy 9 29er or a Remedy 9.8 650B. The 29er definitely rolled over roots and rocks better, but the 650B was slightly more maneuverable. I'm coming from a Superfly 100 AL.

mtbr member
    being the local bike junkie and having a great relationship with the local bike shop has allowed me to ride LOTS of different trek mtb's. I have ridden the fuel ex 29 and remedy 29 extensively this last year. I don't consider myself even close to being an "expert" rider but I would rate the remedy ahead of the fuel in almost all categories. climbs great, is surprisingly maneuverable and when you point it downhill you don't worry much about the line, you just let the remedy do it's thing. as far as the remedy 27.5, I just took delivery of a 9 series. only have one ride in due to icy weather. so far, compared to the remedy 29 it definitely has a more playful feel. quicker acceleration is noticeable immediately and tho' the 29'er is no slouch at climbing I would give the nod to the 27.5. it's going to take awhile to dial back the amount of input needed on the 27.5 to make things happen. again, I only have one ride on the 27.5 so I'll update my impressions as I get more saddle time on the 27.5.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I understand that the Remedy descents better but do you also say that it climbs better and is more maneuverable than the Fuel? Seems strange to me. Also are you comparing the 29 Fuel to the 27.5 Remedy? It would made more sense to compare bicycle with the same wheel size.

mtbr member
    paris, to clarify my experience was that the remedy 29 climbs and handles as well or better than the fuel ex 29 and obviously trumps it downhill. but again that's MY experience. other riders with different styles may disagree. as far as the comparison the OP asked for opinions from anyone that had ridden both the remedy 29 and remedy 650b and that's what the last half of my post addresses.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    No problem my friend. It just sounds strange to me that a longer travel AM bicycle will ride better uphill than a shorter travel trial one. Anyway as you said it is just your experience and it is for sure respected.