mtbr member
    Nov 2004

rear travel on klein mantra

I'm interested in selling a mantra I inherited from a friend and before I post an ad I'd like to know what the suspension travel is. Anyone out there have an idea?

mtbr member
    I think it is supposed to be 6" but it doesnt feel like more than 3-4".

Buzz

MCM#45

No good in rock gardens..
    I have some old MBA reviews and they quote 7 inches.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Since i have a mantra pro I say 6 is about right. See Pic and judge for your self
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Try not to

Try not to describe it as a 6 inch travel bike in order to sell it. It is not a "long travel" bike.

"It is a XC only bike with great suspension." is a better way to say it.

If a rider can get the full travel out of the Mantra on a regular basis then the bike is not set up properly.

If it is an air shock then a 150# (this weight includes pack) rider should have about 185 psi in the shock. If the rider is 200# (same as previous) then there should be about 265 psi in the shock.
    Not sure if you want to toss that info in the add but, it could be helpful to a new mtb rider.

mtbr member
    I have to agree with noslogan Its a XC bike not a DH at all.

mtbr member
    WOW I figured all these frames had broken by now, I broke mine twice, then sold it, It was a pretty fun bike, but the suspension would unload and throw your weight forward when braking hard. But a fun bike none the less, not very efficient though. Travel was around 6", and did you know it was designed to ridden with a rigid fork?, I wish I had digital photos of mine, it used to covered in fur, several different colors throughout it's life. If I can get a hold of a scanner I'll post some old photos of it when it was furred out.

mtbr member
    I think we know why your bike broke. Twice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by E2@CC
    WOW I figured all these frames had broken by now, I broke mine twice, then sold it, It was a pretty fun bike, but the suspension would unload and throw your weight forward when braking hard. But a fun bike none the less, not very efficient though. Travel was around 6", and did you know it was designed to ridden with a rigid fork?, I wish I had digital photos of mine, it used to covered in fur, several different colors throughout it's life. If I can get a hold of a scanner I'll post some old photos of it when it was furred out.

What did you have? I know of 3 mantra pros like mine that have been riding hard and they never broke was yours made by trek? i know mine was made by Klein in WA i was one of the lucky one to get 1 of 100 made of this bike.

mtbr member

Actually

Quote Originally Posted by Klein_Christopher
    i was one of the lucky one to get 1 of 100 made of this bike.
    They were able get about 360-380 off the line. I think all the aluminum Mantras (and rear triangles on the carbons) were made in WA.
    There are stickers on my carbons that say made in WA. I doubt the OCLV mains were made there though.
    I also have three. One original, one 99 Pro and a 99 Race single speed.