mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Which rear shock for Top Fuel?

Hello,

I am considering an upgrade of the rear shock (RP3) for my my Top Fuel (80mm). As far as I know, the suspension design of the Fuel has a rising leverage characteristic for better small bump compliance.

So does it mean that the Propedal or SPV design, which would sacrifice the small bump compliance, would actually work against the design of the suspension? Which shock are you using and how do you find it?

Thanks for your sharing!

Stanley

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Any full suspension design or equipment will always be a compromise between pedaling efficiency and bump compliance. If you were to upgrade to the RP23 you would have more adjustment for the pedaling platform, but still have the basic functions as your current shock. If you are 180lbs or less IMO, you probably don't need more adjustment, where as if you are 190+ you may want the option of a "stiffer" platform setting.

The design of the top fuel is very nuetral with pedal feedback and an all round consistent feel for bump compliance.

Ok, here goes the opinionated view- I feel that most riders do not appreciate the fact that there are two different kinds of pedal bob.
    Design induced bob comes from the design of the bike. Depending on the pivot locations and what the designer feels is a balance of pedaling efficiency and bump compliance for the application, the design may have some pedal induced bob. "Smart" shock technology or pedaling platforms can usually negate any design induced bob.
    Rider induced bob is only addressable by changing or looking at your pedaling style. If you are one to "mash squares" or "chop wood" then YOU are bobbing up and down and I don't care how efficient the design is or if there is a pedaling platform, the bike will bob. Getting a nice smooth spin will do more for reducing bob than a different design or smart shock can provide.

Ok, back to your concerns. What is wrong with the shock now? Are you not able to find a "sweet" spot? What kind of adjustments are you doing with it? How much do you weigh? You indicated that you have an rp3, I am assuming this was not stock since the 80mm travel top fuels came stock with a Rock Shox and the new top fuels have 90mm travel and come stock with a manitou.

Any type of smart shock will affect the small bump compliance. It would really just depend on what kind of pedaling platform you prefer. Each manufacturer has a different feel for their pedaling platform.

Anyone can give their opinions but you won't really know what you like until you try a few things.

Personally I like an air spv system, or the pro pedal fox system, but I don't race. Only trail rides.

Hopefully some others will chime with what they like.
    Anyone who rides a bike is a friend of mine.
    My favorite bike is whatever I am riding.
    My favorite trail is where ever I am.
    Bikes and equipment are replaceable, friends and trails are not.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Totally agreed that there's no perfect for rear suspension and everything is a compromise. Actually i'm running on a RP3 with factory default setting at Middle firm propedal. I weigh 165 lbs and had to pump down to 75psi for a correct sag.

It seems to me that the shock works as it says, inactive at low frequency compression. So for a sudden square edge bump, you'll feel like riding a hardtail! I want a more balanced feel for the front and rear suspension, as both are 80mm for my 06 model Fuel.

Would it get improved for the RP23, cos the shock can completely turn the propedal OFF? Or would the SPV shock perform better in this area?

I noticed that the complete bike model usually comes with a shock without the 'platform' technology. This makes me wonder if it would be the best compromised setting for the 80mm rear travel Fuel?

Any more sharing on this?

Fat Boy
    I have heard a lot of people on a lot of forums say PUSH are the people to go to with your fox shock. I think they can play with the internals to mayby give you the performance you are looking for. I think you tell them your weight, your bike and style of riding you do and they tune it to that.
    I have a rockshox rear shock on my topfuel but I run it with a remote lockout lever. So I can control when its working.