mtbr member

Reaktiv DCRV agressive/ big hit perfornmance on Remedy

Hi Trek folks

Does anyone here have experience with the new Reaktiv DCRV damper on the 2015 remedy? Ive been offered a really attractive deal on a Remedy and I'm a bit concerned about the high speed damping in this shock. Everything Ive read online about the Penske developed damper seems to pertain to pedaling performance and how the platform is activated. Ive read that the DCRV on the Slash last year had poor mid-stroke support and was quite easy to bottom out. Does the Penske tuned DCRV address these issues? This was my experience with most fox ctd rear shocks. On my trail bike this past season I switched to a CC Inline and it was a night and day difference as far as high speed control is concerned. Ill be racing pro class/ cat1 enduro this season and I really don't want to have a rear shock (That's not replaceable, my impression is that this thing is proprietary) that performs poorly when you ride aggressively.

Thanks, looking forward to hearing some feedback.

mtbr member
    I ASSUME the Re:Aktiv unit still has the same user openable DCRV chamber in the top.

I was very unimpressed with the mid-stroke and beyond performance of my DCRV shock on my '14 Fuel. It felt like the shock just BLEW through the travel. If the Re:Aktiv still has the same top, simply install PUSH industries volume reducers. I found they made the shock spring rate feel MUCH more progressive (which they are supposed to do, and is what I wanted). I personally highly recommend them.

mtbr member
    Thanks, Ive also used volume spacers in my ctd before and they helped. I found they did not really do anything to change high speed behavior of the shock, but it did make a big difference in bottom out behavior. Unfortunately, I think your probably right about the shock in terms of highspeed damping.

mtbr member
    okay, so you actually were talking about damping. In the mountain bike world it's hard to tell if somebody means spring rate for damping.

I have heard that the damping characteristics are better but whether it is what you were looking for or not who knows. My experience has been with the Evolution Series, and I could never quite get the damping to be the way I wanted it either. I have actually been tempted to pull the fork and shock apart and use different oil weights in themto get the damping more to my liking. The PUSH parts did make the spring rates very good.

I am amazed however is that for the cost of components, that there is not fully adjustable compression damping on every fork or shock. I mean they tout the CTD stuff like it is some marvelous breakthrough, when really it is an incredibly crude compression adjuster. I would prefer 15 points of adjustment not two!

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    The high-speed damping of the RE:Aktiv is incredible....seems to work even BETTER the hotter it gets! I am coming from a Rockshox Monarch RT3 and Cane Creek DB Inline. Color me completely impressed....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member

Reaktiv DCRV agressive/ big hit perfornmance on Remedy

Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    The high-speed damping of the RE:Aktiv is incredible....seems to work even BETTER the hotter it gets! I am coming from a Rockshox Monarch RT3 and Cane Creek DB Inline. Color me completely impressed....
    Wow! Ok, that's pretty good news. I have an inline on my enduro bike now and it is soooo much better the ctd evo that it replaced. Completely transformed the bike. I guess I'm pretty Leary of the fox stuff as I've had like 4 floats that were all complete garbage when you rode aggressive and fast.
    What bike do you have?

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I have a Superfly, with RT3. I recently demo a Remedy 9.8 with RE:Aktiv and Boost 148, and I must admit it was quite impressive. Damn Remedy climbed nearly as well as my 23-pound race bike....and descended like no other.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ^^^ I would concur with Zach's impression, and I base that on ownership comparison between the 14 and 15 Remedy. The reactive rear shock is astounding at fast, multiple hit trail features (rock garden, roots, etc.). It just doesn't pack down. Comes out of the section still high in the travel and rocking.

The only tradeoff compared to the non-reactive shock is that the "C" position is no longer quite as firm. The non-reactive version was darn near a lockout, but on a bike like the Remedy, that really isn't needed.

And the upside to that is the C position is now much more usable when trail riding (super long, steep climbs, etc.). Previously, it was pretty much only good for road segments.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.