mtbr member
    May 2007

Racer's Please Chime in! Trek Ex 9.5 Question.

I recently bought a new bike and want to know if it is suffice for racing. This may sound silly but I got a Trek Ex 9.5 (2006) I believe 4" travel? THe bike rides amazing but I have never competed in any MTB racing however the local guys are always saying how either HT or A true XC racer is needed, that 4" is too much travel? does that sound right? My bike feels absolutely amazing and the XT / XTR components are perfect. How many of you race and how many would race on a EX 9.5 . I am a avid roadie and got a killer deal on a mtb bike I can grow into, and have been riding my ass off. , fill me on on any opinions. I mainly ride in Az and So cal Desert, rough terrain can get pretty techy. Do races usually take place on pre existing trails or do they usually clear new ones for a race?

thanks
    Tete

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Although the EX9.5 is designed to be used as a trail bike it will more than likely suit your needs to race unless you are doing it professionally. At that point you may want to look into the Top Fuel or the hardtail Elite line. Having the remote lock out for those times you need to climb and sprint should get you though races just fine. The full suspension will get you over the rough stuff faster than the hardtails in my opinion so you have the best of both worlds for the casual racer. Plus you have the lightness of carbon. I say race away and kick their azzes, their probably jealous of the deal you got!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I got great information in a similar thread:
    Fuel EX or Top Fuel?

Good luck!
    //Michael

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The 2006 EX rear suspension is only 10 mm more travel than the 2007 Top Fuel, and the same in the front. You will be fine racing it. It's a light bike and the bar mounted lockout for the front and rear will make it great for climbs. I demoed one a while back, and it was nice. The newer specialized Epics are 100 mm front and rear, as are amny other racing bikes. If the terrain is rough, it will be faster than a hardtail.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yeha the remote lockout is sweet, and it is very convenient . Like I said the bike rides like I imagined it would and the really smooth. the only downfall is that is scratches very easily because of the carbon I imagine. But also I figure this is mountain biking and the more scratches the better!!

Yeah I notice compared to the specialized Stumpsjumper this bike climbed alot easier and felt" shorter" if that makes sense.

tete

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If you're new at mtb racing I can guarantee that a Fuel Ex 9.5 will be a limiting factor to your success.

Enjoy.

HillBilly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    One thing to always remember....your engine and bike skills will be the ultimate determining factor on the outcome of a race not the bike. I'd be willing to bet Lance would kick our azzes if he was on a Wal-Mart bike and we were on a top of the line anything.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HillBillies
    If you're new at mtb racing I can guarantee that a Fuel Ex 9.5 will not be a limiting factor to your success.

Enjoy.

HillBilly.
    i think you forgot a not in there

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by elistan
    i think you forgot a not in there
    Ha --- good pickup. You're right - definitey meant to say NOT a limiting factor.

HillBilly

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I can be confident when sayin on the road and am a very strong cyclist. However I notice that the big difference for me w/ mountain biking is not the steeper climbs etc, but the bike handling on technical trails. learning some of the techniques on when to slow down or speed up .. lock out , not lock out,, gearing.. - My concern with the bike was just wondering what the big difference was and is it negligible. many answered my questions, thank you.