Thread: Race Ex8?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Race Ex8?

Hello everyone. Nooby here, and just wanted to get opinions. I'm seriously considering getting the Ex8 due to the positive feedback I'm getting from the board. Quick question. I'm wondering what everyone's take is on using the Ex8 for light duty racing. I really need to get a FS XC-Trail bike, but I don't want a "race only" machine, and it looks like the Ex8 could be used for Beginner-Sport racing without being a hinderance. Any thoughts? I appreciate any and all input, as my mtn biking experience is limited. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I will only say that I easily cruise around my favorite trails as fast, if not faster, on my EX8 than I did on my previous Trek 8000 (2006 model).

I love my EX8 and would easily consider racing it, it just swallows up the bumps and therefore makes for a very comfortable less fatiguing ride... It does not feel heavy at all, either.
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    I will only say that I easily cruise around my favorite trails as fast, if not faster, on my EX8 than I did on my previous Trek 8000 (2006 model).

I love my EX8 and would easily consider racing it, it just swallows up the bumps and therefore makes for a very comfortable less fatiguing ride... It does not feel heavy at all, either.
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

mtbr member
    It's the man, not the machine.

I'd consider the EX8, or any thing human powered with two wheels, to be race ready in the beginner classes.

The EX8 is a highly capable machine.

mtbr member
    It's the man, not the machine.

I'd consider the EX8, or any thing human powered with two wheels, to be race ready in the beginner classes.

The EX8 is a highly capable machine.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    I race my EX8 and it does great. The only changes I have made to the stock set up are a Stylo 3.3 GXP crankset (I happen to have purchased one earlier for another bike) and Eggbeater SL pedals (I've always wanted to try Eggbeaters). Oh, and I'm running tubless now but I haven't raced with my tubeless setup yet. My bike weighs 27lbs.

It's a do-it-all machine. In fact, I've gotten annoyed that nothing ever goes wrong. The wheels are still perfectly true and everything shifts great after riding a few hours each week and the occaisional crash. The bike has held up better than me. I'll hear a warped rotor every now and then. But as a person who likes to tinker with their bike, I've had very little tooling on my EX8.

Stop reading and go buy one.
    Last edited by Thirdrawn; 05-15-2007 at 06:09 PM.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yup, I race mine too. All I've done is change the spacers around so the stem is as low as possible, haven't flipped it yet, but that's an option too if you want to go even lower, and I generally stiffen up the forks and shock for a race and run the rear on the propedal setting, or it's easy to lock it out for long fireroad climbs, so full suss for technical sections and hardtail for long climbs, happy days...

You got any chocolate?
    Definitely. I race a 2006 EX 9 and it is going to be a long time before I "outgrow" this bike. It handles so well and the dual poploc feature makes the bike go from full suspension to completely locked out in a second right at the handlebar. No reaching down for levers. The bike is well balanced and climbs well. If I had any gripes, it would be that my size frame (15.5") can't really fit any waterbottles. But I actually prefer a camelbak, so it was no big deal to me.

Race your bike and have a great time. Good luck in your races!
    Tom G.
    Long Island, NY

You got any chocolate?
    And your bike can be used for both cross country and 24 hour racing with no problem.
    Tom G.
    Long Island, NY