mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Question for you guys with the new Re:Aktiv suspension on the Fuel EX bikes.

I have been riding mountain bikes now since October of last year. I picked up a used 2010 Haro Sonix Full suspension Mountain Bike at a really good price just to make sure I would like riding mountain bikes. Well I have found that I love mountain biking. Now that I have been riding I am really starting to understand what I want and don't want in a new bike when I buy one. I live in the Southeast part of the states where there are lots of single track mountain bike trails. We don't really have huge drops or anything like that but we do have some nice flowing uphills and downhills with lots of tree roots and stuff like that. The one thing I hate about the bike I have now is the bobbing when I pedal uphill. I have been looking hard at the Trek Fuel EX 9.8. I was just wanting to know from the people that have these bikes or ones that have the new Re:Aktiv suspension does it get rid of the bobbing effect when climbing or do you still need to reach down and flip the CTD lever to stop the bobbing effect. I am still on the fence about the Fuel EX 9.8 or the Superfly 9.8. At least with the Superfly I have the lockout on the handlebars for the rear suspension. I have been looking a lot at these two bikes from Trek and also the Scott Spark 910, 920, 710, and 720 because they lockout both front and rear suspension with one switch. As you can tell I am still on the fence about the 29 inch wheels or the 27.5 inch wheels. Just in case my height and weight helps in your explanation I weigh about 235lbs and I am 6'1" tall. Thanks in advance for the help.

mtbr member
    I have a 2014 Fuel EX9 without the Re:Aktiv damper and I always leave the shock in Trail position. I've never noticed the suspension bobbing so personally wouldn't sweat that too much. The Full Floater design makes for a great suspension package that I would never call prone to anything like "bobbing effect".

Wheel size is down to what your riding style is like: Ride over stuff - 29er, jump over stuff - 27.5 (generalizing).

Frame is also down to what your riding style is like: Racer first then Rider- Superfly, Rider first then Racer - Fuel EX (generalizing).

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The new Reactive damping works really well. In Trail mode, the platform is firm for pedaling, but absorbs bumps nicely. Sits high in the travel. In Climb mode, it's very firm, but not quite a full lockout, and surprisingly to me, still absorbs bumps darn well.

It's a noticeable improvement over the non-Reactive version, but not quite a "absolutely gotta have it" kind of thing.

This is all based on comparisons between my 2014 and 2015 Remedy, with the assumption that these observations have some application to the very similar Fuel
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    My fuel ex8 29 came with a standard fox ctd, and now has the reaktiv shock. It never really did bob uncontrollably as it was, but the reaktiv certainly does help keep the suspension under more control when smashing up climbs. I would personally never use remote lever lockout controls, as I only switch the c t d and trail adjust features in between trail segments depending on what terrain is ahead, not really ever within a trail itself. The reaktiv does make it efficient enough in descend that I can climb the steepest of climbs without feeling like I need the trail platform, so I tend to spend more time in D now than I did with the standard ctd shock.
    Personally, I won't buy another trek bike if it hasn't got the reaktiv shock, but it isn't an absolute necessity for the bike to be a good one as mentioned above.
    10 Gary Fisher Cobia - 13 Trek Madone 5.2 - 14 Trek Fuel Ex8

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks for the response guys it does really help hearing different opinions. I gotta feeling its gonna be night and day difference from what I am riding now anyway. I hope it helps my riding out a lot. My bike weighs around 35lbs right now so I hope just shedding close to 10 pounds helps.

mtbr member
    I only really notice the "bobbing" on smooth climbs that require heavy pedal pushing.

Road or rail-trail stuff, I notice it, but Trail mode makes a nice difference.

I did just get a set of PUSH's tuning blocks, and am REALLY liking that effect. Rear feels much less squishy. Now, I do not ride at recommended settings either. I run the shock a good bit stiff.

Pedal bob on modern bikes is really from poor pedaling technique, not the bike itself.

'14 EX8 29er.