Fat, but working on it...

Question about Genesis geometry and fork

I have a Sugar 1. Not sure the model (I think it's 2001 maybe). Anyways, it has the Genesis geometry, and I need a new fork for it. I'm not exactly sure about what is different about the whole "Genesis" thing vs. standard geometry. I just know I like it. Will any fork that is the correct travel length work? Or do I need something special?
    Nothing to see here. Move along...

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Yep, normal 'ol off-the-shelf fork, nuttin' special.

All that new forward offset stuff that Fisher is specing on their G2 bikes would work, too, but would lengthen your wheel base slightly. No biggie, and you would expect to percieve the same steering changes as a G2 rider ('cept they don't get a change in their wheelbase).

The big difference with Genesis is that they give you a relatively longer top tube (compared with similarly sized frames from other brands) and pair with a shorter stem. This plus short chainstays biases your weight a bit more to the rear of the bike, supposing that you'll get more traction and be less endo prone. But by unweighting your front tire, it can also lead to a quick loss of traction up front while cornering.

Some other frame designers do this, too -- they just don't have a fancy trademarked name for it.

You can get a little more info from the Fisher website: http://www.fisherbikes.com/fisher101/ ... but that's a lot of fluff. There's lots of explanations and opinions, pro and con, expressed on these forums if you dig around a little.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN