Thread: Question...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Question...

Alright, I just bought a mint condition 2006 Trek Fuel 70 from a friend that didn't ride it but like 3 times. It was mostly on road because he had street tires put on it so I know it wasn't abused offroad or anything. Just a little stratch on the frame but thats it. I just teat road the bike this weekend at two different trails and it did great. Now, to my question. I have a 2007 Specialized HardRock with pretty much everything upgraded... Crank, front and rear deraillurs, shifters, wheels, breaks, everything.. Now everything works great on the Trek but I was wondering if it would be worth paying over $100 to have all upgraded components switched from one bike to the other or just sell the HardRock as is... If I sell the HR as is I'd probably ask about $850 but if I had all components switched over probably like $400. But it sucks to have to put more money into both to have it converted. I was even thinking about just switching the crank, breaks, and wheels to lower the cost. Let me know what you guys think... Thanks

Perhaps switch them over yourself ????? The only cost would be your time...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Sad thing is I dunno how to do that stuff. I'm not too good with that kinda stuff. I always mess it up. So, I'm calling the local shop today to find out exactly how much... Anyone else with suggestions...

responsible zombie owner
    Lots of websites can help with these things - mostly it's not too hard. You could do the basics and pay the LBS a smaller amount to tune the bike up.

personally i would want to keep the upgraded kit for the $100 it would cost to swap over, and sell the HR for the lower amount, but halving your asking price might be going too far. i have a few upgrades coming for an older bike and i would definitely hold onto them and put the OEM kit back on if i sold it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    What I will probably do is swap over the BB7 breaks, Stylo 2.2 crank, and Rhyno Lite wheels. Leave the XT duel shifters, XT derailluers, and Dart 3 shock. The shock on the Trek is basically new J2 RockShock which is basically a Dart, and the shifters and break levers work perfect so that should cut cost of swapping everything. I'll find out tomorrow when I take everything over there. I'll get prices from all and 1/2 swap. thanks guys.

Members who have read this thread: 0