Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lionel Hutz, Esq.

Problems with Bontrager Race wheelset

I just got a 07 EX 8 and it comes with Bontrager Race wheels and Jones XR tires. I'm not particularly interesting in changing out the tires, they work fine for my part of the world. However:

The rims are listed as Tubeless and the tires are listed as "Tubeless Ready". I understand the difference and think it's a good idea. My problem is that I want to run Stans on this bike - I'm a big fan of the stuff. The bike didn't come with tubeless valves so I bought some Stans-brand valves and screwed them on. I poured the sealant in and inflated them only to have the air quickly escape through the valve hole.

I even took a regular tube and cut the valve out so the boot might give a better seal - still didn't work.

The Jones tires are attached to what looks like a rim strip. My next plan is to tear the Joneses out, remove the rimstrip and put a Stans strip in. This is what I've done in the past and I have no doubt that it will work. I just don't want to tear anything untill I know I'm not screwing up.

Anyway, I know at least one person out there removed the stock tires and runs Stans - Quattrokid, I'm looking in your direction. Has anyone else dealt with this? Thanks in advance.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    My 06 ex8 came with valve stems. The tires weren't tubeless ready though. So at the end of the season I got a set of UST tires, put the valve stems on, threw the UST tires on, aired up and everything worked perfectly. I am not running any sealant either.

If the air if coming out from the stem then you have a problem there. Maybe you need the bonty stems to get a proper seal. Are you using a compressor to air up or a floor pump. I used a floor pump but it took a couple of goes and some slightly soapy water to get the seal to pop. A compressor would make this easier.

mtbr member
    i didnt install the Stans myself. the LBS did that on purchase because i also got different tires.

i do know that in addition to Stan's valve stems, you use the Stan's rim strip. besides that, im blind when it comes to using tubeless tires. i just know that if i get a flat that doesnt seal, i pull all that stuff off and put a tube in it to get me home.

i might be shitting out my mouth on this one, but i think when i saw a stan's kit at the shop, the valve stem might have been part of the rim strip in the kit they used on my bike.
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Try the Bontrager Juice

The valves should have come with the bike and when used with the rim strips it seals up quite nice (I've used them on Bontrager Mustang Rims and now on my Race X-Lites). Also, give the Bontrager super juice a try. I got my Hifi Pro in January when I swapped out to the Race X-Lite wheels and kept the Jones TR tires. After adding half the amount of Bontrager Super Juice that is recommended and letting the bike sit for 2 months of sitting in the basement on the repair stand (We got a lot of snow and cold weather after I picked it up), the tires only lost 20 PSI. So far the Bonty Super Juice is holding up quite nicely "out in the field". I recommend giving it a try.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I am confused why the original poster would want to take the rim strip off the bonty's and use the stans one. The bontrager rims are tubless ready. You should have the rim strips and stems with them. All you should need to do is pull the tubes, throw on the stems, add sealant (for the jones) and then air up.

If the problem is losing air out the stem then get the bonty ones - they should have came with the bike. Because the jones are tubeless ready and not true UST you are suppose to run them with sealant. You shouldn't have to do anything special to get them to work. The non-bonty stems might be the problem.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    The original poster sees that the outer deck of the rim is not solid (like it would be on a UST rim). So he doesn't know if the rim strip is specific to the Bonty tubeless system.

I know that if I used a Stans conversion strip (a glorified rim strip that includes a valve) I could go tubeless. I just don't want to put a covnversion kit on a "tubeless" rim - that would be redundant. The stock hard plastic rim liner can't be reused like a rubber or some cloth rim liners. I've never had a problem getting the Stans kit to work - this is not my first rodeo, here. But, this is giving me trouble.

The bike didn't come with valves - yeah, I think that's kinda lame, too. But, I built the bike myself when it came in and I have everything that was included in the box. Maybe I need to order some Bontrager-specific valves. Though the Stans valves clearly indicate compatibility with Bontrager rims. Personally, I want to tear the tire off and pull the rim strip off and get a good look at the rims. I'm just not sure where the point of no return is.

So people are liking the super juice? I had heard some complaints but I really want to try it out.

Y'know, I checked out the Bontrager valves on the website and they look like a better valve with better sealing on both sides of the rim. I'm not near my favorite bike shop but I'll bite the bullet and order two valves and some Super Juice from the Trek dealer in my town. I'll keep y'all updated.
    Last edited by Thirdrawn; 04-19-2007 at 08:08 PM.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2002 Trek 2100

mtbr member
    i used non UST tires though to save weight. hey, what rebound settings are you using for what type of riding on your ex8?
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

Double-metric mtb man
    I've been running the Bonty Race Disc TR wheels with absolutely no problems with Stan's. With the Bonty TR rim strip in, you'll need to use Bonty valves to get a proper seal. They are not full UST wheels, but are tubeless ready (intended to run tubeless with a sealant).

I've run Bonty, Panaracer and Continental conventional tires without issues (except those by the tires themselves) as a Stan's tubless setup.

If you just got the bike, I'd say go back to the LBS and ask for the valves that were supposed to come with the wheels.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    I've got them set up closer to slow than fast. Something like 5 clicks from slowest on the front and 6 from slowest on the rear. But, I'm thinking about taking some air out of the rear and maybe slowing the rebound down even more - feels jarring on the technical stuff and when I rode it today fully open my climbing traction really improved. I've got the fork right where I want it.

I don't huck or session, but I'm not above dropping a few feet or jumping over terrain if it'll get me to the finish faster. I raced this past weekend on a couse with some flat parts and some really technical stuff. Drops landing on rock gardens, a steep downhill section with two mean turns, and a little jump section to keep us from getting bored. There were even some Northshore-style ladder bridges set up on the course. It had a little of everything.

Personally, I like the real technical stuff more than the flat-out speed stuff. I just like to toss the bike around. I don't think I've done anything that really warrants a 5" trail bike, but I'm pretty sure that not bottoming out is a good thing, right?
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2002 Trek 2100

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    I've been running the Bonty Race Disc TR wheels with absolutely no problems with Stan's. With the Bonty TR rim strip in, you'll need to use Bonty valves to get a proper seal. They are not full UST wheels, but are tubeless ready (intended to run tubeless with a sealant).
    Ok, so the Race Disc TR wheelset is tubeless as long as that blue rim strip is in it? I just want to make the distinction between Bonty's system and Mavic's UST system.

The bike didn't come with valves - or at least I couldn't find them in the box. I used to work at this shop and they let me get a deal through them. The bike arrived, I came in and opened the box and assembled the bike. If there were valves in the box, they were well hidden. In any event, it would be my fault. Maybe this is a fluke, maybe the valves just come with the aftermarket wheelset.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2002 Trek 2100

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    For '07, the bikes were shipped with standard rimstrips and no TL valves.
    If you want to run TL, you need to order the [bonty] rimstrips and valves.

I don't like it either - but that's the way it is....

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    My 07 Procaliber came with blue rim strips and no valves. I'm assuming these rimstrips are the tubeless rimstrips. I had to warranty one of the wheels, and the new wheel came with another blue rimstrip and a tubeless valve.

Double-metric mtb man
    In the case of my race disc wheelset, the strip is black...if yours is blue, c'est la vie. The important thing is that you shouldn't be able to see the nipples or their holes at all....the liner looks pretty much like a single piece. Heck, when I first took off the rubber, I thought it was the rim, not a strip.

If you have an '07, you may need some additional stuff...sounds like they aren't shipping then fully TR for '07.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggurat44
    For '07, the bikes were shipped with standard rimstrips and no TL valves.
    If you want to run TL, you need to order the [bonty] rimstrips and valves.

I don't like it either - but that's the way it is....
    Well, it sounds like a fun little experiment, the Bonty strips and valves against the proven Stans system. Apparently, Bontrager is backordered on everything I need so I'm stuck for a while.

Thanks for the input.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2002 Trek 2100

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirdrawn
    Ok, so the Race Disc TR wheelset is tubeless as long as that blue rim strip is in it?
    The blue rim strips that you have are NOT the tubeless rim strips. In fact, if you look, I'll bet you'll find them labeled Schwalbe somewhere. The tubeless rimstrips are black and are much more substantial than the blue ones that came with your bike. They are hard plastic, precision extruded to match the profile of the rim exactly, fit rather tightly, and direction specific due to the OSB feature of the rim. You'll need a pair of those, a pair of the valve stems, and a sealant of some sort (Bontrager or Stan's) to make the wheels tubeless. The blue rim strip works quite well if you want to run tubes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirdrawn
    Well, it sounds like a fun little experiment, the Bonty strips and valves against the proven Stans system. Apparently, Bontrager is backordered on everything I need so I'm stuck for a while.

Thanks for the input.
    I have the Bonty strips and valves and they work great. Installed a set of UST tires and they hold air fine. I am not even running any sealant.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    my 06 or 07 race lite tlr wheel came with a black rim strip and tubeless valve stem
    I dont think the stans rim strip fits right and with the rim strip in the tires are a B**ch to install. so I would stick with Bonty

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    The blue rim strips that you have are NOT the tubeless rim strips. In fact, if you look, I'll bet you'll find them labeled Schwalbe somewhere. The tubeless rimstrips are black and are much more substantial than the blue ones that came with your bike. They are hard plastic, precision extruded to match the profile of the rim exactly, fit rather tightly, and direction specific due to the OSB feature of the rim. You'll need a pair of those, a pair of the valve stems, and a sealant of some sort (Bontrager or Stan's) to make the wheels tubeless. The blue rim strip works quite well if you want to run tubes.
    Yeah, that's what I figured. I just wanted to make sure. Thanks
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2002 Trek 2100

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My appologies for the basic question, but who makes Bontrager? I realize its part of Trek. But do they make them? Or can I find a no name at a better price? Thanks!

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikefun
    My appologies for the basic question, but who makes Bontrager? I realize its part of Trek. But do they make them? Or can I find a no name at a better price? Thanks!
    Bontrager makes Bontrager. They're a component manufacturer like Truvativ, for example. They're owned by Trek, which is why Trek specs their bikes with Bontrager components.

Yes, you could find a no-name brand cheaper. But, I would be wary of a company that didn't want people to know you were using their product. That's why no-name components are cheaper.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2002 Trek 2100

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

You need the bontrager tubless strips

like someone else said are the black ones, and you need a front and rear specific strip,
    since the rear rim it's offset a bit to make space for the cassette.
    So change the blue strip with the black, put the valve on with it's locking ring outside and add
    your favourite sealant, that's the meaning of "tubless ready".
    f

You got any chocolate?
    I would also suggest adding at least 3 ounces of sealant to initially set the bead. The few extra grams are worth it. I recently converted my Bontrager wheels and tires to tubeless with Stan's and could not be happier. I was lucky in that my 2006 already came "ready to go" with the rimstrips and valves. I removed the tubes, installed the stems, added the sealant and did the "shaky, shaky" thing. Good to go!

Anyone use Bonty's Super Juice? Just curious to its performance in comparison to Stan's.
    Tom G.
    Long Island, NY

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by framex
    like someone else said are the black ones, and you need a front and rear specific strip,
    since the rear rim it's offset a bit to make space for the cassette.
    Assuming the wheelset is a disc wheelset, the front and rear rims will be exactly the same. On a front disc wheel, the OSB feature helps make room for the disc rotor. The rims will be in the opposite orientation, however.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikefun
    Depends on what components you're trying to find a no-name replacement for. There aren't many players in the tubeless wheel market and the other ones aren't exactly no-names, or cheaper for that matter. You essentially have Bontrager, Stan's No-Tubes, and Mavic.

Double-metric mtb man
    I've got a co-worker who rides a fair bit and his son swears by the super juice. Granted, the kid is a freeride demon and burps his tires on a regular basis...I've been told that the only real reason he prefers the juice is so that he doesn't have the white spray when he burps (juice is thicker and doesn't spray quite as much).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast